1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

seeping egg? stupid question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by klf73, Aug 4, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I have never had an egg that looked like this on day 2. It looks like it has "wet" spots on it, yet dry to the touch. Instinct says to pull the egg now, it's no good. Is this a seeping egg even though it actually isn't seeping (my def. of seeping would be wet). Experience?
    Krista

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I'd pull it. What you're seeing is the yolk that seeped out but dried into droplets. It will continue to seep and become glued to your turner or whatever you might have it sitting on.

Unless your incubator had a high humidity setting the egg shouldn't be "wet".

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'd pull it too.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Pull the egg if you don't want a mess or stink!...

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    If it's not seeping, what exactly is it. Does it look like a discoloration in the shell? I've seen that on araucana eggs. The pigment darker in some spots and lighter on the rest of the egg. That is perfectly normal and I have had them hatch as well.

If it appears to be moist and dried, then I agree it should be removed.

Jody

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    They didn't look like this when they went into the bator 2 days ago. These eggs were with some others that were crunched by the PO and they were covered in egg stuff. I put them in the bator to see if they would do anything. I think the egg contents ruined these ones. I put 6 in the bator, only 1 was clean. 2 others still look ok so far. The affected ones look like they have wet dots on them. One was tacky to the touch, the others were dry so far.
    Krista

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I'd pull them too then. Any chance of contamination and I don't risk it.

Jody

8. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    If the eggs were laid on 7/28 and set on 8/2, how long would they take to "blow" after the wet look? I just want to be sure. I pulled the tacky one, and separated the other 2 but hate to toss them if I'm wrong. But of course I'd hate to lose the others either [​IMG]
    Krista

9. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I had a funny smell and a few hours later the egg exploded and ruined the 8 around it. Pull it NOW or you risk losing some or all of your eggs

10. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    Was it shipped? Sometimes they will look fine when you set them then after a few days the egg will get dried droplets. It usally only happens with eggs that the air cell is blown. I toss all those, I have never had one hatch. They end up going rotten.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by