Seeping egg???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by menkot, Feb 23, 2008.

1. menkot

menkot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    One of my eggs has a tiny dot of what looks like sorta dried egg white on the shell. It is gluey feeling and about the size of a pin head. Is this what is called a seeping egg? It is not seeping anymore if it is. It just has that tiny dot of dried. Do I need to do away with it? I carefully candled it and I can see a chick in it but can't see movement. I don't see a blood ring at all.

How fast do I need to get it out if it is? And how dangerous would it be to crack it (if it is not good) to let the kids see the chick?

Thanks,
    Sarah

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  2. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    We have cracked eggs at different stages for our children to study. Are you sure that goo wasn't there before and you just didn't notice it? I would let it be for a while, if your not going to open it for your children. JMO

3. Feather Dust

Feather Dust Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2008
    Medford,NJ
    I have had an egg that was "seeping". It was a brown bubbly discharge from the egg. I didn't think it was coming from the inside at first, so I wiped it off. A couple of days later it was back, and more of it. My bator was starting to smell bad too. I decided to pull it out. I put it in a zip block bag to open it. (a friend of mine had an egg explode on her, so I didn't want a rotten egg all over the place!) Anyway when I opened it there was some development in there, but there was also a lot of green fluid, and boy did it stink!! I don't know if yours is the same as mine, but that is what happened to mine.

~Feather Dust

4. menkot

Jun 1, 2007
    The goo definitely was not there before. I want the kids to see only if it is dead. I do not want to kill it. I am just afraid of it exploding and contaminating the other eggs [​IMG]

Edited to add that it is clear goo. It looks and feels like that gluey stuff they use to stick things in magazines or to stick samples on a card if you know what I am talking about?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  5. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    I am sure that it wasn't there before, I tossed out two eggs last night, one that it was stuck to, and the other that I was sure was a dud. Today is either 18 or 19 for me, they are in the hatcher, waiting to hatch. The one with the goo is in the bater cause something is in it.

6. menkot

Jun 1, 2007
    Good thing i noticed it. [​IMG] I went back about an hour later to get it out. I had decided to go ahead and remove it just in case. It had about 8 of those seepage spots just an hour later. It was moving in a bad direction FAST! I broke it in a ziplock bag to make sure it didn't get all over me. It looked like the chick had died a day or two earlier. The kids got to see it but it was already dead... phew because I did NOT want to kill it. I think it was the one that had a floating aircell in it. Poor baby [​IMG]

7. K&H Chicken Farm

K&H Chicken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Redding CA
    I am sorry for the loss of the chick but at least it worked out right.
    Good luck on the rest of the hatch!

8. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    perhaps the breeder was an older bird?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by