Segregating my Flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by PuckPuckPuck, Nov 14, 2010.

1. PuckPuckPuck

PuckPuckPuck Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2010
    Mont-Tremblanc, Quebec
    Hi everyone [​IMG]
    I am doing some planning on my new coop and was thinking if I should segregate my flock by race. [​IMG] It would only be for control purpose due to the size of flock. (50 birds in all 25 chanteclers and 25 orpingtons) I want to split my coop in 2 for my girls but I am wondering if I am breaking my head for no reason. [​IMG] The plan that I have now is; have them segregated even their runs.

Oh yeah important note: the Roosters will be in a different pen to keep my eggs unfertile. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Sounds simple enough...not sure what your question is. Are you just not wanting your eggs fertile because you sell them and your customers are picky??? Fertilized or not, the eggs taste the same... I guess I'm unclear on what your question is...lol [​IMG]

3. serendipityfarm

serendipityfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Connecticut
    I have been wishing I had a way to separate parts of my flock, but that is so I could control which hen is with which roo. If you aren't separating to control the fertilization of eggs among only a particular breed, it sounds to me like a lot of extra work that's unnecessary.
    That having been said, if you have any desire to breed in the future, it would be easier to do now and then you're ready to go when the time comes.

4. rockinpaints

rockinpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2010
    Ohio
    If there is plenty of room where they are, why would you separate them? The more in the coop the warmer they will stay in the winter....[​IMG]

5. teach1rusl

Well, 25 birds per section is still a decent amount for warmth (meant for prev. post). If you have the supplies, it's easily doable. I guess we're wondering WHY you want to do this. It would just be easier to advise...

6. PuckPuckPuck

Nov 1, 2010
    Mont-Tremblanc, Quebec
    I guess its the military in me. You are this, you are that, you go here and you go there. My question is, If i have a large flock of 2 different kinds of spicies would you keep them together or split them into smaller groups, but not to small, to have better controll of them?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  7. teach1rusl

Do they freerange at all, or stay in the runs? Obviously, freeranging doesn't become a management issue if they're all together. It'd have to be one day off/one day on if they're separated (this breed let out on Tuesday - other breed on Wed...sounds like child visitation issues).
    While it sounds easier to just keep them all together, I also see the other side. That's a lot of birds, And going out to grab one bird out of 25 sounds easier to me than 1 out of 50. So I guess management-wise, I like the idea of having two areas. But I only have a small flock, so 50 birds all in one run sounds overwhelming to me...[​IMG] Now if you plan on breeding down the road, they would have to be separated if you want offspring to be fullblooded of either breed. I guess it's whatever makes you feel comfortable in managing your birds...

8. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I have 10 chickens that have lived most of their lives together. I want more chickens but have decided not to add to the established flock. I'm gonna build another coop & start another flock. I do not wanna disturb my first flock. They get along great & lay eggs. I'm not gonna chance loosing their bond & egg laying hopefully. Yes, I know their chickens & today's a new day. LOL

9. PuckPuckPuck

Nov 1, 2010
    Mont-Tremblanc, Quebec
    I think I will keep them segregated because it will be easier to manage. I.E. It will be easier to fine the one that is acting up in th coop or to grab one that is sick. It will be easier to get the in the coop at night. (fewer birds to handle at one time)

I want to thank everyone for their input.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by