Seizure Questions.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Squishy, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    [​IMG]

Does anyone have a link to a good website regarding seizure symptoms and the different kinds of them?

I did a search and it was very frustrating trying to find something... maybe I'm just not a good googler. [​IMG]

Do they know what causes them? Am I right in my fuzzy memory that its hard for them to be diagnosed unless a doctor sees you have one or something?

Thanks for any info! [​IMG]

2. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    You're right that sometimes a cause can be difficult to diagnose, but there's also a long list of causes that can be ruled out by a doctor. From dehydration to tumors and everything in between. Sometimes they never find the cause, especially if it happens just once or a few times then never again. That happened to my FIL and they never found the cause. This link has some very basic info on it. [​IMG]

http://www.livestrong.com/article/120149-known-causes-seizures-adults/

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  3. bunnibird55

bunnibird55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    NW Ohio
    My 30 yr old DD has seizures. It was finally diagnosed as nocturnal seizures after three years and even going to Cleveland Clinic. A doctor in FT. Wayne IN finally diagnosed them. I will look and find the info I have on them - they told us that 75 percent of the time they really don't know what triggers them. My DD was on meds for a while - she got pregnant against the docs advice and had a nice healthy little girl. The strange thing - she has not had any seizures since she had the baby 18 months ago. They said it could have been triggered by hormonal changes. She has always had the small space out type "seizures" - just a vacant stare for about 7 seconds and then she would be back to normal. When she had the other seizures, they were grand mal..... very scary for the rest of us. She would start moaning, her muscles would all tense up, drawing her head backwards. Her eyes would roll back in her head then her body would go into severe spasms for about 30 to 40 seconds - always seemed like a lot longer than that. She would start gurgling and the emts always told us to get her down on the floor and when she started gurgling to lay her on her side so she would not choke. A lot of the time she would vomit at this point. She would then be out completely for about 45 minutes while her blood pressure would be very very low. When she would start coming around, she never could remember anything that happened but she was always so exhausted for the next 12 to 24 hours and had such severe headaches. We took her to the emergency room many times, but all they did was take our money! I am worried about her now though because she has gotten pregnant again - much against the doctors advice - and she has started having severe headaches again........
    What are your symptoms that you fear are seizures?

4. kara_leigh

kara_leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    Quote:Not necessarily. Most (not all, but most) people with seizures have certain patterns to their brain waves. One of the first tests would be an EEG to measure the brain waves. They can usually tell by this if you do or do not have seizures, but not all people that have seizures have an abnormal EEG. I am one of them. I have Complex Partial Seizures, but my EEG and all other tests were normal. I haven't had a seizure in front of a doctor, but then again I don't convulse or anything like that. If you didn't know about my seizures, you wouldn't know I was having one even if you were sitting right in front of me. They have just gone by my symptoms and the fact that the medication has for the most part stopped them for a diagnosis (if I am VERY stressed out, I will have seizures even when on meds) The only time I have had a Tonic Clonic was after my sisters wedding. We think it was from drinking a lot of hard alcohol (I rarely drink, and never hard alcohol...my cousin is good with peer pressure lol) and when we got home I got really sick to my stomach and started walking to the bathroom, and I had the seizure right when I got there. I dead dropped from a standing position, and fell with my legs folded up underneath me. I seized for about 5 minutes, my husband said I stopped breathing for about a minute. I came to just fine, but I had a massive goose egg on my head from my fall. I don't remember any of it, beyond getting up from the sofa. I don't even remember walking to the bathroom.

My normal seizures are different. I start out with this really weird feeling that I can't describe. That is my aura. Then I get a really strong sense of deja vu, like what I'm seeing or experiencing is something I've already done or had a dream about. Then I get sick to my stomach, dizzy, have a hard time talking, I can't concentrate on anything. I also get really hot, flushed, and sweaty. Sometimes they last a minute, sometimes up to 5-10 minutes. Afterwards I'm really weak and tired and I have a hard time remembering things and I am usually wiped out for the rest of the day.

I am 33, and I didn't start getting these seizures until about a year and a half ago. My doctors don't know what caused them to come on.

5. Squishy

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    Thank you everyone for all the info!

Well... over a year ago... I was feeling perfectly fine one day... and then at some point in my sleep that night.. I partially woke up or something akin to that, and there was this rushing in my head. I really dont know how to describe it. There was alot of noise, if you could call it that... and felt somewhat like my brain was swirling around and around. Not like dizzy or anything.. it was intense and I seriously thought I was going to die. I think it hurt.. either that or it was too intense for me.. because I remember trying to say "stop" only I couldnt open my mouth or move at all and was just thinking it.

After I woke up, where I might have slept or not (I was home by myself) I had many other symptoms I wont go into much.

I recently had found this website that talked of the symptoms that could be experienced *after* a seizure... and what do you know but my problems were there, including an altered level of awareness.

I just didn't know that there were different kinds of seizures so I discounted it.

Subsequently in that year, I had many episodes of staring into space and getting 'stuck'.. it would be while I was eating and I would begin only to find my fork halfway to my mouth and not be able to make myself put it in... trouble talking.. that kind of thing.

I was actually diagnosed with a psychological problem... until I miraculously recovered while being off meds for a health concern. The doctor then told me "I just cant figure you out".
    She had me go for an MRI and a Catscan.. and both returned normal... but her recommendation that I do so was due to a 'signifigant irregularity' and something to do with left and right hemispheres, in some of the psych testing they did.

Anyways... so for almost a year now.. I have felt fine. I do have this deja vu too though. So its funny you said that. Almost every day, usually once or twice.. I will be overcome with this sensation that I just did that, or I just said that... or did I dream that was going to happen last night?
    It's very disconcerting. It's a good thing I dont believe in preminitions... because every time some big event happpens or someone says something monumental to me.. I feel like its happened before.

A few weeks ago, when I wasn't feeling well.. 3 days in a row I had this very deep pain in my head. It wasn't the typical headache for me where the pain is more on the outside, you know... and it couldn't have been a migraine (light and sound and such were fine)... and I had this faint feeling for those couple of days that was kind of weird. It was just.. weird.

But I feel fine now.

Thanks again all. [​IMG]

6. kara_leigh

kara_leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    A lot of people with my type of seizure have them in their sleep. This is a quote from epilepsy.com about Complex Partial Seizures
    And another story: "Susan's seizures usually occur while she's asleep. She makes a grunting sound, as if she's clearing her throat. Then she'll sit up in bed, open her eyes, and stare. She may clasp her hands together. If I ask her what she's doing, she doesn't answer. After a minute or so, she lies down and goes back to sleep."

I'm no doctor, but it sounds like you have the same type of seizures that I do. If I were you, I'd get in to a Neurologist.

I get really bad headaches after my seizures too, especially if I have more than one in a row or in a day. I didn't think anything of my symptoms, either, at first. It took me having a whole bunch of them, all with the same symptoms, for me to realize that maybe it was something worth looking into.

Good luck. I hope you figure out what is going on, even if it isn't seizures. It sucks not having control over your own body. (((hug)))​

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Have they ruled out TIA's, Squishy?
    I know you are very young..but...
    Sounds like what my mom had when she had her TIA's..

8. Squishy

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    What does TIA stand for Red?

I think if they ruled it out I would have heard about it....

Thanks.

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by