Seizure!

Mollyyyy

Hatching
Oct 11, 2021
Hello to all. I have a 13-week-old Peachick who I believe had a seizure this morning. I have raised this baby by himself from day one, he has been wormed and very well taken care of and he lives inside with me. He has not had any prior health issues. He was roosted up on my door this morning when I noticed him looking to the side with his neck stretched out, head tilted sideways, and just seemed to be acting funny. Next thing I knew, he flew sideways off the door and hit the ground hard, flailing and flopping all over the ground with his neck and head twisted completely behind him and legs stiffened out. I had no idea what was happening at the time I just sat there and held him and cried. It lasted for maybe 5 minutes, he has been very exhausted not eating much almost lethargic for the rest of the morning. I have gotten him to drink and eat a little bit, and he feels well enough to follow me from room to room. I have no vet money unfortunately, or I would have already taken him. I do have antibiotics I can give him. But other than that I don't know what to do for this poor baby. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 1635263336252980183398027939463.jpg
    1635263336252980183398027939463.jpg
    644.8 KB · Views: 14
@casportpony is very knowledgeable about pea fowl, which I am not. I would suggest getting some electrolytes and vitamins started. For neurological problems and wry neck, giving 400 IU of human vitamin E and 1/4 tablet of human vitamin B or super B complex daily for a couple of weeks. Those can be found at most pharmacies and stores like Target, Walgreens, and Walmart. Could he have suffered a head injury? You may want to get a weight on him for any dosages.

@casportpony is very knowledgeable about pea fowl, which I am not. I would suggest getting some electrolytes and vitamins started. For neurological problems and wry neck, giving 400 IU of human vitamin E and 1/4 tablet of human vitamin B or super B complex daily for a couple of weeks. Those can be found at most pharmacies and stores like Target, Walgreens, and Walmart. Could he have suffered a head injury? You may want to get a weight on him for any dosages.
Thank you so much i will get some supplies today. There is a chance of a head injury, I know he ran into my dresser last night flying down off of my door. But he seemed all right then so I didn't think much of it. Thank you so much again for the feedback

I've never seen neurological problems in peafowl, so I wouldn't even know where to begin. @Eggcessive's suggestion of giving some E & B vitamins is probably a good place to start.

Next I would weigh him on a food scale to get a baseline weight, then start weighing daily.

I don't have any specific feedback just wanted to give you support, I'm sure that was very frightening. Hope he is ok.

I don't have any specific feedback just wanted to give you support, I'm sure that was very frightening. Hope he is ok.
That is so appreciated thank you. Was one of the more disturbing things I've ever seen I cried a lot. He seems to be doing better now I'm on my way to the store to pick up some vitamins for him. Thank you again!

I suppose, that living inside all the time he will suffer from lack of natural sunlight, leading to all kinds of neurological and scelettal issues.

Back
Top Bottom