Selecting breeds

Malbri

Songster
12 Years
Jan 10, 2008
Bowdoin
Well, im looking to get more chickens. Im looking at getting probably 15 at the most. I made a list from looking at ideal, if you could help me pick from the list it would be great.
Here is the list:
Golden laced cochin pullets
Partridge cochin pullets
Silver Laced Cochins
Sex links
Brahmas
Columbian Wyandotte

I am looking for pet chickens, not for meat or anything. I live in maine, so tolerence to cold weather is great.

I've have Sex-links (black stars) and they are wonderful in the cold, have great temperaments. Had Wyandottes, but I never kept them through winter (I sold them in the fall, but I'm sure they'd do well in winter), they where outgoing but a bit pushy I thought.
Never had Cochins, so I couldn't tell you about them other then people usually say they are friendly and winter great.

oh, I forgot to mention, the sex links are a definate. They are what I had before, and I looooveeed them.
Angie, didja empty ur pm box?

I used the mypetchicken.com breed selector tool to help narrow my choices. It asks about winter tolerance.
cool.png

Love Brahmas, Cochins (I am getting golden laced too!) and Wyandottes. I hated my Sex links, they were very crazy. Consider the Speckled Sussex from Ideal. I got mine from them and I love them! If you got 2-3 of each breed you can keep the ones you like the best and sell the others.

Good Luck

2 Black Sex Link , Pullet $2.04 ea, $4.08
3 Golden Laced Cochin , Pullet $2.68ea, $8.04
3 Silver Laced Cochin , Pullet $2.68ea, $8.04
3 Buff Brahma , Pullet $2.48ea, $7.44
3 Columbian Wyandotte , Pullet $2.68 ea, $8.04
Total $35.64
This is what I have, feel free to tweak

I have a silver gray dorking pullet who is a lovely bird. Very sweet, docile and friendly. Something I had in my criteria list was that they had to be docile and quiet. I adored my speckled sussex. Again a very good bird.
I have a birchen cochin bantam and she's by far the biggest lap chicken of the bunch.

Back
Top Bottom