1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Selective Breeding in a Mixed Flock

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by allergymama, Jan 29, 2015.

1. allergymama

allergymama Songster

Apr 26, 2014
    Michigan
    I am seeking tips for success on this. We have Welsh Harlequins and are considering Anconas, but we have also have a Khaki drake and a pekin and a rouen hen. We will be incubating the eggs, but am wondering how to separate them to maintain the breeds. They free range during the day (well, right now, they just hide under the pine trees because it is too cold...not sure I would actually call that free-ranging, LOL) and are cooped together at night. I know that I will need to separate them, but am wondering for how long they need to be separated and how best to make that happen. Our kids are looking at 4H and we also want to maintain breed quality on the rarer breeds because we think it's important.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Crowing Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Approximately how many birds were you planning on housing?

3. allergymama

allergymama Songster

Apr 26, 2014
    Michigan
    Sorry about the slow reply. Been a busy couple of days. :) I would probably just separate one of the drakes with one or two hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: