self black polish setting on eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by redchicken, Jul 3, 2008.

1. redchicken

redchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Eastern Pa
    I have a sort of problem my self black polish is setting on eggs but somewhere I heard they are not good moms and that they kill the babies I don't know how long she has been setting for but the other day I smelled a rotten egg and I looked in and she must have been eating the egg is this bad for them?

2. redchicken

Sep 15, 2007
    Eastern Pa
    just putting it at the top [​IMG]

3. fowlafoot

fowlafoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Midwest
    One of my Buff Laced polish tries to set every year. She's hatched once but the chicks were killed either by her or by the rooster. So we collect their eggs every day now. I let my game hens set on them if I want babies. If a rotten egg exploded in the nest it usually smothers the other eggs and they all die. As for eating the eggs I've never had a hen get sick from it. Hope that helps

4. redchicken

Sep 15, 2007
    Eastern Pa
    Quote:I have been checking alot each day so as soon as they hatch I can take them away do you think I could if they hatch get them before they get the chicks?

5. fowlafoot

fowlafoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Midwest
    Ours hatched overnight and we found them first thing in the morning, but I am pretty sure it was the rooster. Most of our breeds the rooster can be left in but apparently not so with Polish. She might do ok... if you have the time to watch you might want to see how she does before you take them. Not all chickens fit the breed mold. If she does start pecking or otherwise not being motherly have a nice heat lamp and box set up for them and they should be fine.

6. redchicken

Sep 15, 2007
    Eastern Pa
    Quote:well we are going on vacation on the 19 till august 2 anyway so I might just take them away or I could separate the mother if and after they hatch?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by