Self Blue Coloring

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by silkieluvr, Jun 11, 2008.

1. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    Would someone care to explain to me how the self blue(lavender) color works??? I love the color and now that I fully understand normal blue color, I think its time to learn about self! So if anyone could explain that would be awesome!!! [​IMG]

2. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Self blue (aka lavender) is a recessive gene.

For example, if you were to breed a self blue to a black, f1 would be all black, with 100% carrying one copy of the lavender gene. For f2, if you were to breed the babies together, you would get 25% without the lavender gene (black), 50% with one copy of the lavender gene (black), and 25% carrying two copies of the lavender gene (lavender). If you were to breed the f1 babies back to the lavenders, you would get 50% lavender and 50% black (carrying one copy of the lavender gene).

Hope this helps [​IMG]

3. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Silly Alyssa you should have just asked me. Since our trio is self blue, we will have all self blue babies. VICTORY!

4. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    would you breed a black roo to a lavender hen

or breed a lavender roo to a black hen?

5. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Either way will give you the same results.

6. Sharisr32

Sharisr32 Egg Killer ;)

Jan 14, 2007
    OH/PA Boarder
    I have two Self - Blues out of George Mahliks line -

and have no idea what I am going to do with them yet -- maybe in a month or so I'll put them in the black pen and see what happens

7. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Shari, I love your title LOL

8. Sharisr32

Sharisr32 Egg Killer ;)

Jan 14, 2007
    OH/PA Boarder
    my husband laughs cuz I hatched for a year if 1/4 of the eggs I set hatched -- well they'd have the house and we'd be in the coop
    I have 20 or so Buff Chicks about 15 whites and well he is ready for a downsize -- oh yea and the polish ---

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by