Self-Blue OEGB color question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Puresilk, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Puresilk

Puresilk Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Yale
    I have seen a few self blue oegb's that had faint barring in a few feathers. Is that normal, somethign to be avoided or something that is just there? If its to be avoided, where did it come from?

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Self Blue should have no lacing in the plumage at all...

Not My Bird
    Self Blue -
    [​IMG]

The ones that you saw with lacing in the plumage could have been a Blue and not a Self Blue

Not My Bird
    Blue -
    [​IMG]

Not to confuse you anymore there Silver Blue that is very close to a Blue.

Not My Bird
    Silver Blue -
    [​IMG]

Chris

3. Puresilk

Apr 23, 2010
    Yale
    The ones I saw were the self blue color, they are young birds, maybe 5 months? the barring was very minimal, not noticeable unless they are real close....was just curious about them as I am wanting to get a trio of self blues, and want to know what to look for and avoid...thanks [​IMG]

4. Puresilk

Apr 23, 2010
    Yale
    Ozzie and Harriett, a young pair I picked up. The barring is not very noticeable, wondering if it will disappear when they molt out? They are around 4 months old.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    It does not look like barring to me.

6. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    X2 I dont see any lacing

7. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Oh wait! I see it on the tail of the roo. Breed thema and only keep the offspring that do not show barring.

Edited to say: Or I suppose you could work on barred "lavendar" old English Game. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  8. Puresilk

Apr 23, 2010
    Yale
    Ya, like I said, it is very faint but there. I am gonna keep them, as the little pullet will fly up on my shoulder anytime I enter the pen now, lol...I just picked up a real nice trio of year old self-blues to start with, and I can use these with them if they make the right type. I am really liking the self blues, the porcelains (hard to find), BB Reds and the chocolates, or duns. Those are the colors I am working on. The porcelain is gonna be an extended project as I only have a rooster and some eggs ordered.

9. Puresilk

Apr 23, 2010
    Yale
    Quote:I might take that as a side project [​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by