Self Blue Old English Bantam

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dixiebeast, Aug 9, 2011.

1. dixiebeast

dixiebeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    Cross Hill SC
    I have been looking for a thread on these as I have a pair...does anyone else have them?

2. dixiebeast

Aug 1, 2011
    Cross Hill SC
    Surely they are not this rare!? LOL....had to give myself a bump!

3. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:Sevral have self Blue OE, very few will show as the variety itself is known to have certian issues with feather width and quality and often weak on type.

4. dixiebeast

Aug 1, 2011
    Cross Hill SC
    So far mine seem healthy...I saw them and bought them on a whim because my hen looks like a tiny little dove and I love the lil Roo...he thinks he is 10 foot tall!lol I love the pale blue color and they are the only ones I have ever seen...guess I will have to see if the man I bought them from has more as I would like another hen.I know nothing about showing,just what I like to look at but my Roo does have a goofy comb( thats my fav part!)Guess I will have to do more research on them to see if the are of any quality?

5. lethldragon

lethldragon Chillin' With My Peeps

What do you have to breed to get self blue?

6. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC

You can't 'make' self blue, you must breed from birds that are either self blue or carrying the self blue/lav. gene to get self blue.

7. ChickensR2addicting

ChickensR2addicting Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2010
    My Coop
    I have a pair of self blue and would love to get more. Do you have a picture to post? Did you get yours from a breeder? I am having a hard time finding non-hatchery ones. PM me back
    Karen

8. wildman1

wildman1 New Egg

Mar 4, 2013
    I have the old English self Blue.. I like them and their color.. you can look them up on any big chicken comp.. I have the Bamtams.

9. wildman1

wildman1 New Egg

Mar 4, 2013
    That looks like the slef blue cochin. I sthat what they are?

10. ChazzanHillel

ChazzanHillel Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2014
    Fort Worth
    I've been trying to figure out if this is the breed I have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by