Self Blue Silkie Acceptance Question..

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chris09, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quick question,
    Was the Self Blue/ Lavender Silkie attempt to gain acceptance this week at Ohio Nationals?
    I herd that the Self Blue/ Lavender Silkie was attempt to gain acceptance but that the APA and ABA agreed that it will be accepted as a Self Blue Silkie. Lavender Silkie was not an acceptable option.

Does anyone know anymore about this?

Chris

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  2. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    No, Chris. Although many were shown, the Shawnee Show in December is the qualifying show.

3. bacres

bacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    East Pennsylvania
    I thought Ohio was....

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    ABA Qualifying Meet was indeed at the Ohio National. the breeders present were told they will hear the results in March. APA Qualifying Meet is at Shawnee in mid-December. There will be an APA General Meeting on Saturday evening after the banquet, so I have no idea whether they will have decided on APA acceptance by then, or not. Yes, teh option for using the term" lavender" was disallowed. Most of hte silkie breeders would much prefer "lavender" for the variety name. It is not unprecedented to have the same or a similar colour called by different names for different breeds.

"Fawn silver duckwing" as compared with "khaki silver duckwing," or "speckled" vs "mille fleur" for examples. Then you have TEN standards for barred, and mottled, spangled (as in OEGB) and spangled (as in hamburg). Pretty sure htere are more inconsistencies, too.

5. bacres

Mar 13, 2010
    East Pennsylvania
    How did the lavs look????

6. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I don't think anyone who has posted on this thread was there [​IMG]

7. bacres

Mar 13, 2010
    East Pennsylvania
    Well those people need to get on! hah

8. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Try posting on the club website; they are on there; of course, realize that many had a LONG drive to get home.

9. bacres

Mar 13, 2010
    East Pennsylvania
    Why do they need to wait till March. Why couldn't they tell them right away?

10. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The standards committee has to meet and discuss it. Not sure whether both organizations will announce together, or separately. If you get the quarterlies and yearbooks, sometimes there is a LOT of discussion and controversy over these kinds of decisions. And sometimes little or none.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by