Self-Blue Silkie Chicks *Update & Pics Page 3 & 4*

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Enchanted Sunrise Farms, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Well, i did it, just put in my order for 15 self-blue (lavender) silkie chicks from Ideal. They will ship on March 18th. i was pondering ordering just 10, but thought what the heck, with 15 i should be able to get a few nice birds and then rehome the rest.

i'm very excited!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2009
  2. dave_Cash69

dave_Cash69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    kaintucky
    out of curiosity
    how much was your total? im considering possibly purchasing from ideal

3. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Nice birds to come

4. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    I ordered 12 feather legged hen assortment. the total was 38.24.. I got 7 packing roo's thrown in for warmth. I really enjoyed working with Ideal and am very happy with my fuzzybutts. good luck

5. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    My total was $53.30. The chicks were $2.87 each x 15, then there is a dollar charge for a small order, then 15 cents per chick for something and all that comes to $46.30 and that leaves $7 for something else.

i think it's very reasonable. i ordered from mypetchicken two years ago and it was very expensive. MPC does sex the bantams, but they aren't 100% accurate. For the lesser price, i think Ideal is worth it, at least i hope so.

i am a leetle worried, though, about being loaded down with a bunch of rooster packing peanuts. So, RendonRoo, do they just put any breed rooster in? Or do they put bantams in with bantams and large in with large breeds?

6. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    Monday, I ordered 15 bantam moderns from Ideal. They ship out the 18th and should be here 19th or 20th.

Cost: $2.87/ea. @ 5 = $14.35

$43.05
    +3.00 ($1.00/ variety under 1/4 box)
    +7.00 small order charge
    +2.25 air mail
    ________
    $55.30

Ideal has a 1/4 box minimum which would be 25 bantams. Otherwise you pay a small order charge. Thats okay with me cause I don't want to buy 25 chicks. And they will put in extras depending on the temp. Usually male chicks. I have a place for any extra cockerels when they are old enough. In the meantime, they don't eat that much! I can't wait for them to get here!
    I paid less last fall from a different hatchery but, that hatchery does not have the birds I wanted this time around.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  7. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    mrandmrschicken, when are yours supposed to be shipped? i think maybe i'm waiting until March 15th as the self-blue silkies were backordered. i put my name in for a wait list and then got an email a couple days ago. AND, i called back a while later and left a message to add 5 Blue Quail D'Anvers. i have some d'anver hatching eggs coming my way, but you just never know how hatches are going to turn out.

Congrats on your chicks. Hope everyone gets there safe and sound.

8. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    I am so happy for you. I considered it but I am just not up for another project right now. I would need more pens and so when you get yours looking good just let me know and i will buy some from ya.

9. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I have one blue and one black silkie and I love those little girls. They are so sweet and funny and very broody....

10. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Quote:Well, this will be all new to me. i've never kept a rooster before, but recently purchased a cute Mille Fleur d'Uccle pair. The roo has the nicest crow and none of the neighbors have complained. So i plan on delving into the world of breeding. i know these silkies will not have the best form. i saw the pics that LilPeeps posted of hers. But the colors sure are pretty. i have two very beautiful bearded black hens, so if i get a good rooster out of the group, i can try to work on creating some nice birds. In any case, it will be fun. i've never made my own chickens before. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by