Self-Blue Silkie Chicks *Update & Pics Page 3 & 4*

No, they didn't have any d'anvers ready to go, so i will just have to hope the hatching eggs coming my way have a good outcome.

On that pig, i told my husband that they do big poops, like dogs. He thought they did little pellets like rabbits. Once he heard about the poop situation, he changed his mind. Plus, he is in total loves with our angora bunny, so i think he's okay.
smile.png

And yes, pictures will be taken!

Someone on my yahoo group is offering a Blue Quail Splash
Bearded Belgium D'Anver (the BQS is not yet recognized as a variety by
the ABA) young roo..... just thought I'd throw it out there.
smile.png

Nancy

More delays for me even today... I called a hatchery that I ordered bantam Buttercup hatching eggs from to see when they would be mailed out. They said it would be two weeks....
sad.png
I am really bummed now.
By the time I get my chicks and eggs, my broody banty will have hatched her little clutch. She and I had a bet on who would get their chicks first and I guess I lose to a chicken!
Please post pics of your chicks. I have to live through others, including my broody, for the moment...
hmm.png

mrandmrschicken, what are the repercussions of losing a bet to a chicken? What did each of you wager?
smile.png
Sorry you are having problems getting your chicks in time. i actually hadn't wanted to get mine for maybe 2-3 more weeks, but when they called i was too excited.

i was reading that a lot of people got their chicks today from Ideal that were shipped out yesterday. i have pestered my local PO and the Sacramento main PO, asking about my chicks. But they don't seem to be here yet. i'm a little concerned that they now have an extra day in transit. Luckily we are having nicer weather during the day, although it is still chilling down at night. i wonder what happens, where do they get stashed while they're in transit? Are they in a warehouse, a truck, sitting on a loading dock, inside someone's office?

Quote:
The wager was a steak and a bag of feed!
big_smile.png
Our PO, in this small town, is very good about calling and keeping the chicks warm. Picked up an order last year at the PO and they insisted I open them up so they could all see the chicks. All the emplyees wanted to take em home!

They're here! i called the Sacramento main PO yesterday and asked them to call me when they got in. It's a half hour trip, but i figured it would save the chicks hours of riding around in a truck to get out to Fair Oaks. i expected a call around 5:30am or so, and got to bed around 11pm. 1:00am i got the call. Drug myself out of bed, splashed cold water on my face, brewed up a big cup of coffee and took off.

So, i had ordered 15 self-blue silkies Tuesday, they shipped Wednesday afternoon, so turn-around was incredible. i got 28 chicks altogether, 18 silkies, but one was doa (poor thing), and there is one really teeny one with a bad case of spraddle(sp?) legs. And then i got 10 big rooster babies. It was clear right away that i needed to separate them, as the roos were trampling the silkies. So i set up another brooder just for them. Everyone got a drop of Polyvisol and then a beak dip into the vitamin electrolyte water.

i'm a bit worried about the spraddle leg chick. i checked her for pasty butt, and her vent is very small. Then there is a protrusion from her navel. It's drying off, so i let it be. i think i will give her a while to settle in, then go read up on how to do the bandaid remedy.

The silkies are nice, very pretty color. There are some flat heads, but a few vaulted skulls. Here are two pics of one of them i pulled out.
lavsilkie2.jpg

lavsilkie.jpg

And then i have ten of these. Does anyone know what they are? Does anyone in the Sacramento area want these?
mysteryroo.jpg

i'll do more pics in a few hours.

Nice pics! Remember, I am living vicariously. I would say your packing peanuts are Barred Rocks or Dominiques. Are they eating and drinking on their own yet? Was there some green stuff in the shipping box with them? Sort of jello-ish looking?

No, they didn't put any of that grow gel in with them. Everyone is eating and drinking fine except for that little spraddle leg one. i'm going back in now to try the bandaid trick, but i think she has more going on than that. She's very weak, eyes half-closed, not eating or drinking. i'm wondering if i should pull her out. i have a spare incubator i could put her in for a while so she doesn't get trampled on.

Back
Top Bottom