Self blue vs bbs help

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sawilliams, May 18, 2018.

1. sawilliams

sawilliams Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2015
    Nor Cal
    I'm going to use lavender for self blue and blue for bbs so I don't confuse myself

Question is only realated to the roosters color.

Ok so really quick. I have had an unusually high % of lavender/blue hatches from a lavender Orpington roo over mixed breed (no known lavender) flock. Of course even if he is a blue not a lav which he portrays its still a high % of blue. So im thinking overall it's a fluke.

Long part

Originally thread about the chicks with pics https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hoping-someone-can-explain.1241905/

So the rooster pictured below is a Lavender Orpington or at least that's what i have always known him as. The friend I got him from only breed mixed flock Orpington lavender, blues, blacks, Browns, and buffs. So of course he could be lavender or blue but he does seem light for a blue. My flock of 12 hens is 5 ee, 4 cinnimon queens, 1 bard rock and 2 backyard mixes. The ee are pictured in the other thread. Again non are blue, splash or lavender, hidden colors is unknown.

My first hatch was 6 chick with 1 lavender from a ee mom 1 white from a cinnimon (starting to look possibly splash) and 4 black. Seems reasonable

My second hatch of 8 has 3 lavender, one very dark Gary (possibly blue) and 4 black. Really lucky, but really odd.

All chicks are posted on the other thread.

So simple question is this guy a lavender/self blue or a blue/bbs. Becuase either I have a few hens carrying hidden lavender or he's a blue. Eitherway the % I'm getting right now is got to be a fluke

Here's roosty
    20180509_113004.jpg

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  2. sawilliams

Nov 12, 2015
    Nor Cal
    Of course once the new chicks are laying and mating if any are girls I could just seperate one or 2 of the lavender pullets and try hatching thier eggs to confirm his color. But that will take a while.

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Given that he came from a mixed color flock he could very well be blue and lavender. One does not exclude the other. That's why those that breed bbs or lavender keep the 2 colors separated. It's can be very difficult to tell lavender from blue/splash lavender.

ButtonquailGirl14 and puffypoo22 like this.
  4. Your rooster does appear lavender.
    Blue does not look anything like that on an adult rooster.
    I see no lavender chicks in either batch.
    If #1 EE is mother to blue chick from first hatch she carries blue.
    #2 EE hen could also carry blue.
    #4 EE hen does carry blue.

5. sawilliams

Nov 12, 2015
    Nor Cal
    So what your both saying is possibly the rooster is a lavender/splash or lavender/blue with the bbs not showing. And yes I agree at least 2 if not 3 of the hens have blue or lavender, but I'm not going to be hatching any more right now exoect what's still under the broody. Of the second batch I shouldn't have had more then 2 eggs from any 1 hen as all eggs where collected over 2 days. I'm not sure who's was whos but at least 2 of the gray chicks have EE tuffs and beard, I am pretty sure all the grays are from the EE hens but I'm waiting to see the combs better to confirm.

As for which color the chicks are technically, the one for the first hatch and the first 3 from the second hatch all look the same color as the rooster to me. But i know things can look different online and the chick pictures are taken inside where the roosters is obviously outside in full sun. I'll just have to see how they grow. I was under the impression blue and lavender would appear with greater distinction.

6. My opinion is that the rooster is lavender. Could be blue also but i don't believe he is. He doesn't look it to me.
    He is not splash for sure.
    I don't believe there is any others that are lavender.
    Your chicks look blue and do not look lavender in the least.
    Your hen that shows blue is blue in no way lavender.
    The two that are white could carry either but since you're hatching blue chicks not lavender I must say they do not carry lavender but may carry blue.
    The first one has to carry blue if you hatch a blue chick from her.
    What you're hatching is exactly what I would expect from those crosses.
    I'm not sure why you keep going back to the chicks being lavender or that the hens may be lavender?
    They don't look it and the breeding isn't showing it.
    I'm afraid my opinion doesn't match what you want to hear so I'm not much help.
    I'll leave it to others now.

7. sawilliams

Nov 12, 2015
    Nor Cal

My issue with which color they are is based on the fact that what I've seen of blue (bbs) and lavender they simply look more toward lavender to me, but i will have to wait to see once they are older and once they are outside. I haven't raised any blues before (well expect the 3 blrw which are only 8 wks old, and the EE hen with the gray leakage) i have had 2 lavender roosters and in person the chicks look more like the current rooster.

The chicks may be blue, but they look lavender to me. Now i will agree that the first ones color is changing and she very well may be blue. They may all be blue. At this piont I'm not sure, and I'm not clear on what is blue and what is lavender. Either of the 2 white/cream EE hens could carry blue or lav as most of mixes I've tried on the genitics calculator can show the same for either with no other changes except bbs and lav.

Its not like I'm selling chickens right now, I'm growing my flock and trying to understand the genetics that's all.

I'm just trying to figure out if the rooster is infact a lavender or off he is really a blue. Though neither the rooster nor the hens possible colors explain the % hatched so i know either way the second hatch was a lucky fluke.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by