Self Blue vs. Blue Cochin bantams? What's the difference?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by arwmommy, Jan 18, 2008.

1. arwmommy

arwmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    California
    I have googled "self blue cochin" and there are NO results, and even the hatcheries have no pictures of them, dispite having them for sale! :eek:

Can someone help me with what the difference is, and if you have pictures, PLEASE POST!

Thanks so much!

PS- I am know that with the Blues you get a 50% blue, 25% splash, 25% black, and am assuming that with the Self Blues, that all of them are blue?? But a different type of blue?? Lighter??? aggghhhh! I am trying to figure it out!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  2. MS9325

MS9325 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Self Blue is a diluted choclate, Unlike blue witch is a diluted black. so its much lighter, its basicly a lavendar. look up lavender cochins or look up self blue old english, same color

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Self blue/lavender breeds true. Breed two together and you get the same thing, lavender. Breed blue to blue and you can get blue, black or splash. In Europe, they use terms to mean different things, however. They would call many of our Blue Orps here, who don't have distinct black lacing self blues, but we mean something different in the U.S.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by