Self-Blues? **PICS ADDED**

davecash

Songster
12 Years
Jul 22, 2007
kaintucky
Has asnyone heard of self-blue chickens? I have 3 chicks and their growin nicely. I think their bantams, if thats the word that means their smaller than the normal chicken.. If you have ny information let me know.

Last edited:
Dave, self-blue is a color, not a breed. Basically, they call it self-blue in the U.S. and in Europe, it's lavender. Any idea what actual breed they are? Old English Game Bantams, Belgian Bearded D'Anvers, etc, all come in Self-blue.

Last edited:
the guy i bought them from said they were self-blue.. crap.. i know their smaller, but i dont know their actual breed.

Quote:
There are definitily self blue and as far as I know are in the bantams only.
The andalusian blue is the blue that runs through many standard size chickens. With self blue, they carry the blue gene and will always be blue but the Andalusian blue also involves black and splash, so you can get a variety of colors.
I know there are people here thta can go into more detail.
Monty

Dont know of self blue but would like to see a pic of them (hint hint)
hu.gif

how can you tell their gender? i have 3 chiocks and the comb on one of them is brighter and more visible than the others, could this be my rooster?
if so, itd be a dream come true. id have 2 hens and a rooster!!

i appreciatre your help

A self-blue bird will breed true, that is, will produce birds of his same color when mated with another self-blue bird. Two blue birds (not self-blue) when mated will produce blue, black and/or splash. But, as I said, self-blue is a color, not a breed. We would like to see pictures of them and maybe we could tell you more-that's one of my favorite colors in chickens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom