Self Butcher Success, Freezer Camp Full.

bigredfeather

Songster
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
Yorkshire, Ohio
We butchered 62 meaties this weekend. It was our first time, and everything went great. We killed the first one at 9am and we were done killing by 12:30pm. It was great to see we could do this ourselves. We ended up with 317 pounds of butchered weight. Four of them where 6 3/4 pounds and we had 8 of them at 6 pounds. The smallest two where 3 1/2 pounds. The average weight was 5.11 pounds. I went thru 1250 pounds of feed, which put the FCR at 4. I know most people calulate FCR from live weight, but I don't like that. I base mine on dressed weight. It ended up costing around $0.83 per pound, which I thought was very good.

Butchering ourselves was a great expirience. Everyone had a good time and said they wanted to do it again. I guess from here on out, we will do them ourselves. I wish we would have taken some pictures, but we forgot to get the camera out. I can't stress enough the value of watching Joel and Daniel Salatin's youtube videos prior to butchering. It made the whole process much easier. I was surprised how easy it actually was. I can't gut them in 20 seconds like Joel, but my goal is to be that fast eventually.

WOW!! You are great encouragement to those of us who are considering doing this for ourselves...wish I could watch you-tube on my puter...great job:)

Quote:
That makes sense to me. That's how you'd buy it in the store so that makes it possible to compare costs.

Also, it's easier to weigh a dressed bird rather than a live one. The dressed ones don't move as much. LOL

Great Job!!!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom