Self Cleaning Barn

tdgill

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 28, 2009
Cecil Co. MD - 5Yrs. Chickens 4Yrs. Ducks
Has anyone ever heard of that? Not trying to be funny here. There's this cattle barn near Herr's potato chip in Nottingham PA that is over a hundred years old and is now a flea market. Its gorgeous. One of the guys up there pointed out that there were no spider webs / cobwebs. I took note of it and said its a very nice barn! He says, It's self cleaning. I laughed and was sure it was a joke of some sort. I think he was saying it had something to do with the ventilation...anyway, whaddaya say farmer folks?

Quote:
me too - where can I buy one? a self cleaning kitchen and bathroom will do in a pinch!

I'd like to put dibbs on the first set of self cleaning kids.... Kids that actually want to pick up after themselves
smile.png

Well, seriously, there are modern commercial-scale dairy barns that have a cleaning system built in, but they are quite expensive. There's a sweeping mechanism that pushes all the, ahem, large solid dirt into a pit, and then a sort of automatic sprinkler system sprays water and/or disinfectant solution over the floor and stanchions. While all this is going on, the animals are obviously not in the barn, they'd be out to pasture or between "batches" as it were. But you really need one of those metal-and-concrete type barns to have it work properly, and the systems are definitely Not Cheap.

Edited to add: Manufacturers of such systems are Patz, Berg Equipment, Jamesway.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom