Self Cleaning Barn

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by tdgill, Dec 3, 2009.

1. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

Has anyone ever heard of that? Not trying to be funny here. There's this cattle barn near Herr's potato chip in Nottingham PA that is over a hundred years old and is now a flea market. Its gorgeous. One of the guys up there pointed out that there were no spider webs / cobwebs. I took note of it and said its a very nice barn! He says, It's self cleaning. I laughed and was sure it was a joke of some sort. I think he was saying it had something to do with the ventilation...anyway, whaddaya say farmer folks?

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Hmmm. A self cleaning barn? I'll have to get me one of those. I'd like a self cleaning house too.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:me too - where can I buy one? a self cleaning kitchen and bathroom will do in a pinch!

4. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:me too - where can I buy one? a self cleaning kitchen and bathroom will do in a pinch!

I'd like to put dibbs on the first set of self cleaning kids.... Kids that actually want to pick up after themselves [​IMG]

5. tdgill

ok, funny funny ha ha. some one has to know about this. i mean it was immaculate and a huge barn real high. real real high no way was someone dusting up there....

so, no one DOES know about this.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  6. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:It's just very good ventilation.

7. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    hey if u find out who does pu me down for a self cleaning truck:lau

8. Hen_House_Rocks!

Hen_House_Rocks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Dang, I thought you knew something I didn't! :lol

9. tdgill

I just don't know...

10. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Well, seriously, there are modern commercial-scale dairy barns that have a cleaning system built in, but they are quite expensive. There's a sweeping mechanism that pushes all the, ahem, large solid dirt into a pit, and then a sort of automatic sprinkler system sprays water and/or disinfectant solution over the floor and stanchions. While all this is going on, the animals are obviously not in the barn, they'd be out to pasture or between "batches" as it were. But you really need one of those metal-and-concrete type barns to have it work properly, and the systems are definitely Not Cheap.

Edited to add: Manufacturers of such systems are Patz, Berg Equipment, Jamesway.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by