Self locking doors

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rocketdoctor, May 26, 2010.

1. rocketdoctor

rocketdoctor Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    I am building my coop and I have 3 accesses that I want to secure

Nesting Box Lid
    Entry door to coop
    chicken door to run (slides up and down)

Im really concerned about my kids not properly securing the doors properly I know the racoons will be after them with a vengence. I was thinking of using those child locks for cabinets.

For the Chicken door is there a certain wieght I can make it where the coons won't be able to slide it open?

2. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q233/mesoas/Chickens/?action=view&current=0401000714.flv

[​IMG]

Above are a video and a photo of my pop door lock. Real simple. One 1/4"x20 3" screw, two 1/4" washers, 3 1/4" nylock nuts, one 24" bar, one eye screw, one 1lb weight, one wood screw to attach the weight to the bar, one "L" bracket, two screws and nylock nuts to attach the "L" bracket to the flat bar. Finish it off with one 3/8"x 3" lag bolt to act as a catch. If your really are a rocket scientist, then you can figure out the rest, like the fact that you need to build a track for the door, and you need a door. [​IMG]

Andy

3. j3707

j3707 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    Looks good Dogfish - like the plexi door. Been thinking about adding a similar lock to mine. Should be able to do it without too much fuss. Just move the lower limit switch so it's engaged by the latch.
    --------------

Rocket Doctor - Child safety locks are an interesting idea. Benefits of being low tech, easy to install and hopefully very reliable. I have no idea how raccoon proof they'd be. If you go that route let us know how it works.

You might also consider using a gate spring or spring hinges on the doors so they close automatically when released.

You could get fancy and use car door power lock actuators to automatically secure internal locks...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by