Self mixing FEED question?????????????????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mominoz, May 18, 2009.

1. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    [​IMG] Ok-- I made a B00-Boo. I THOUGHT I was buying "Flock Grower and Develope 15% r" Like I had been feeding my geese (6 weeks old)---that I had been getting from Tractor Supply and been feeding them.
    So I have another whole bag of " Flock Starter "20% protein. I am feeding my new ducklings some from the other bag and realised it after I openedn the new bag. -- Ditz moment.
    So since I was thinking of mixing my own feed anyway. My hubby suggested I mix it with corn or mixed grains I can get from TS protein about 6-8% and feed the geese proportionatly.Like 2/3 to 1/3. Would this be ok? until the bag is gone? Or should I throw it away? I HATE waste. But I do know my book says you should not feed that . ?

2. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    I mix my feed with cracked corn and scratch grain all the time. Just make sure to keep a high enough proportion of actual food over corn, or they'll get way too skinny.

High protein is bad because it can cause angel wing.
    If you mix your feed with other things, it will reduce the protein, but also the nutrient content.

EDIT:
    Corn is mostly for winter, when they need it to help keep their body temperature up.
    Scratch grains are primarily a 'treat' type thing, but ducks will attempt to pick out the pellets of their food instead of eating the grains.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  3. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    thanks. I figure they will eat the crumbles (it isn't pellets) first , then eat the grain /alphalfa pellets to fill up on. BTW are alphalfa pellets (horse kind, small diameter) ok to add to the mix?

4. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    I've heard that feeding rabbit pellets is okay. Especially if they're penned up and can't forage.

I have yet to try the rabbit pellets, I think I may during the snow-covered winter months. [​IMG]

5. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    I mix mine too, some game bird starter and scratch grain. They seem to like the mix. Mine roam my yard all day so just eat the grain when they are penned at night, seems to work!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by