Self mutilation

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickens? WOW, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Chickens? WOW

Chickens? WOW Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2010
    Western Montana
    My 1.5 year old black sex link has decided today is the day to try out her new plucked hair style.... For quite a few months she has been bare on her chest area I believe because she wanted to keep her eggs warm. I don't have a rooster and I have just stopped her being broody about 4 days ago. Well after I came home from school I let my chicks out to free range and she came out, but she has 1 tail feather and had picked herself on her backside, and on her back near her tail. The feathers that I assume are hers are in a neat and tidy pile on the dropping board under her usual roost. I am worried because living in Western Montana the winters will get extremely cold, will she get frostbite? The other chickens are not too aggressive to her and I have plenty of room for my 11 hens. Is there anything I can do? Is she going mad?!

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

She is not plucking herself, she is molting :) Natural process this time of year.

She will probably be moody and off for a few weeks, but will look beautiful and normal by the time winter hits.

I have had a near naked hen in January - and she did fine. No frost bite. :)

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yup - this is the time of year for molting.

4. aoxa

I haven't had any start yet, but I'm expecting a mess! lol

5. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop

6. aoxa

None have started. I wonder why they hold shows in late September if it is the time of year for molting? :idunno

Only two look to possibly be molting. It could also be from rooster damage. One of the two is still laying regularly.

7. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I've wondered about that too. I guess you would have to take your pullets to the show.

8. aoxa

I hate that you have to book 3 weeks in advance for it. 3 weeks ago my Ameraucanas had beards. Now we have some beard picking going on. I know who the culprit is. She is the only one left that has a beard. :barnie

I would think August would be the better time for a show. Early August.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by