Self Serve Egg sales (pic)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by azelgin, Apr 15, 2009.

1. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    I read about this idea on here awhile back. It has worked out great for us. Ice chest with cold packs. Coffee can inside for cash and making change. $2.00 a dozen. We get rid of all we put out there. People have been honest, so far.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. robyncorrine

robyncorrine Out Of The Brooder

My husband and I have been thinking about doing this.
    A little afraid that that we would be ripped off.
    Glad to hear it has worked out so well for you.

3. azelgin

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Weve been doing this since last June. Everybody is happy we have the eggs available. We were getting calls when the cooler got empty. We put up the FRESH EGGS TODAY sign. Now, the last person to take eggs usually turns the sign around, so the next customer doesn't have to check an empty cooler. We average 3 dozen a day. Helps buy the feed.

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

You're brave, but then you're probably in a better part of the country too. We live in the inner city, and not only would we probably NOT get paid, I wouldn't want that many people hanging out around our house for fear of break in's etc...

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

That's pretty awesome you live in a place where you can do that! In the city here... it is best that people don't learn that the rusty mail box and driveway lead to a house.

6. azelgin

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Quote:Well, it probably helps, that the first sign you read entering the driveway says "IF YOU CAN READ THIS - YOU'RE IN RANGE!".

7. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I know that's right... [​IMG]

8. thechickman04

thechickman04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    i have the same idea except i placed a sign in my front yard and just set up a small fridge on my front porch...it has worked out for me so far

and my idea is if people are going to steal the eggs they must need themmore than i do

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  9. tryingtohaveitall

tryingtohaveitall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Believe it or not, the feed store where we buy our dog/cat/chicken food has this same kind of policy. He leaves the cash drawer in there for people to fill out their own receipt and leave a check or cash. He says he's done this for 6 years and it's worked so far.

10. azelgin

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Quote:That's EXACTLY how I see it. I either have to sell them, give them away, or feed them back to the chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by