Self Sufficient Animal Feeding

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BarredBuff, Jan 27, 2011.

1. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    We try to be as self sufficient as possible and we are gradually gaining more control in the Animal food production area. Im getting away from the TSC visits, Im getting more ideas for their feed. It seems to be working...

I raise wheat, oat, and alfalfa sprouts for the chickens, ducks and rabbits. I do it with soil so that I can clip what I want off of the sprout and it will regrow. Im getting this project under control now........

[​IMG]

Im also raising earthworms for the poultry too........I have two bins right now and in a couple of months I should be able to feed the worms to them.

This summer I am growing a lot of whole corn for my chickens, ducks and rabbits. Im growing 12, 45 ft long rows for them. Im also converting the old chicken run into a sunflower patch.

The chickens and ducks forage all the time. Even when its 20* out and snow on the ground, they go out. I dont let them set around the feeder, they get out and look for food. All year, that helps a lot with feeding too. I also have a kenneled dog that keeps varmits away.

[​IMG]

The chickens and ducks find the table scraps and they eat them..........

I forage for the rabbits. They get apple and crabapple bark/stems then they get yard clippings and any uncooked old veggie.

I also make custom mashes for them. Rabbits get a sunflower meal, corn meal, and alfalfa pellet meal, combined together. Im also getting ready to substitute oats for the alfalafa pellets when I run out. Its seems to be cheaper to make their feed rather than by the premixes. Im trying to wean them off of stuff I cant grow or produce. Chickens and ducks get boss, cracked, corn and oats. Mixed in 3 equal parts which equals 16% protein plus they get oyster shell supplement.

[​IMG]

Here is my grinder:
    [​IMG]

I hope you find this useful!

2. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Don't forget, plant fruit trees in the run or make the orchard a chicken run. See my BYC page for pics, I have two large Illinois Everbearing Mulberry trees in my Run that I planted the year before I built the Coop----they are now each 30 feet tall with an equal spread and drop mulberries for 10 to 12 weeks starting in June. They must drop at least a ton of berries over that period. I have since planted Apples and Persimmons in the Run (recently enlarged) to extend the "free food" dropping.

3. BarredBuff

Dec 6, 2009
    Yeah my poultry free range through all 3 orchards they get plenty of free food.....

4. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    ohio
    i too am dreaming of being self sufficient. but i have goats right now and not enough sunny window space... [​IMG]
    but i have a 5x5 greenhouse that i'm going to be starting seeds in. and we have a huge garden and i'm planning a permanent herb garden. i've been looking up feed recipes. you grow oats and wheat? i'm wanting to grow these too but haven't been sure if i could hand harvest it efficiently... nice grinder, i need one of those too [​IMG] lots to do...
    nice topic and good pics! [​IMG]

5. BarredBuff

Dec 6, 2009
    No I cant grow oats [​IMG]

I buy them but other than that thats it.

Im gonna make a chick ration too with many many live things plus the dry mix.

6. mother_hen6

mother_hen6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2010
    Palo Alto, CA
  7. BarredBuff

Dec 6, 2009
    Quote:Yes I have that is wonderful!! I usually dont have that many sprouts between the poultry and rabbits.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by