Self Sustaining Flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SowdersHomestead, Nov 29, 2012.

1. SowdersHomestead

SowdersHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Fostoria, Ohio
    I'm looking to start another flock for the sole purpose of hatching out chickens for meat. My thought was to use 12 Delaware Hens and 1 Delaware Rooster. From what I've researched the Delaware should be ready to harvest between 12 and 16 weeks. Yes I know I'm going to get a V breast instead of the double plump broiler breast.

The Columbian looks similar. It is the same or is there a significant difference?

If you were going to do this what breed would you use?

Thanks

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Delawares are excellent free-ranging meat birds, with the added bonus of hens that are excellent layers of large brown eggs. You should plan on more like 16-18 weeks for better carcasses - still much better than many dual-purpose birds. Be careful when getting your stock, there its a huge difference in quality out there, with some lines producing weedy or temperamental birds.

Columbian its a color pattern, not a breed - it is very similar to the Delaware's color, but they are not actually columbian colored.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

True Delaware are very, very rare. They would make an excellent choice, but you'd likely be quite disappointed if you just bought typical hatchery stock. You'll have to investigate quality breeders of old lines of Delaware. Keep knocking, seeking and asking, and you'll find the right breeder.

The Buckeye would be easier to find and accomplish your goals as well.

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Sand Hill preservation has very nice Delawares, both for temperament and production

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by