sell eggs

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by steven, Jan 28, 2010.

1. steven

steven New Egg

Jun 5, 2008
    In my area stores are selling eggs for eighty eight cents a dozen. I give to the unemployed and needy in my area . But I can not sell my eggs to anybody. Any ideas? Iam thinking I should give up having heavy egg producers and just have have what breeds give me the most pleasure. I think I just answered my own question. I have about 60 good egg layers and 15 Hamburgs that I really like. I would like your input please.

2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    You need to get a base of people who want your eggs, have you given out sample to show people they taste better, when i first started to sell eggs I couldn't get rid of them, now i have a waiting list. mine go for $1.50 a doz, in the store around 88 cents too

3. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    The eggs in stores come from caged hens. The yolks are flat and greenish. People will pay $0.80/doz for them.

If you want to sell eggs in competition with them, you have to match that price or provide better quality. It is much easier to do the latter. People will pay more for organic and/or free range. If your hens are getting out into the yard at all, with good quality feed, and oats/greens, your eggs probably have large yellow or orange yolks. Almost all people that see eggs from my chickens are blown away by the yolks.

If you can't sell them, even advertised as free range or farm fresh, then that is sad. You might try giving them away for awhile, so the people around you become educated as to what an egg is suppose to look and taste like. But I wouldn't be doing this hobby to make a profit. At best, most break even on feed. Definitely, scale back and get breeds you like if the above doesn't pan out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by