sell me on quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Pops2, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Pops2

Pops2 Out Of The Brooder

why should anyone interested in raising their own meat get into quail? "sell me against quail" will be the next thread so try to keep them sort of seperate please.

2. chrishel

chrishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    For Coturnix:

Feed to meat conversion rate
    Quick "crop" turn around time (hatch to harvest is 8 weeks)
    Coturnix have been selectively bred for meat and eggs.
    They can be kept in small area (1 sq. ft. per bird), stacked cages can be kept in a small footprint.
    Ease of keeping. They are docile and easy to handle.

Those are just off the top of my head. I'm sure that there are lots of others who have more input and more details.

3. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Quote:That's along the lines of what I was thinking...
    But you did forget,
    Taste Great! [​IMG]

4. Pops2

Pops2 Out Of The Brooder

i already knew about great taste and less filling. southern fried quail breast is one of my favorite dishes (along w/ southern fried pheasant, & wild turkey breast).
    what i'm talking about is HOW productive are they? how easy or hard, how cheap or expensive? an so on
    i thought coturnix were little birds smaller than a bob? isn't that kind of pushing it for a meat bird?

5. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    Quote:coturnix are smaller birds...only thing is they are ready at 8 weeks, as bobs might not be ready till 18 weeks which will cost you alot more in feed/time/cleaning, that and bobs fight alot.

coturnix are cheap, but if your worried about it on a money level i think its better to have cornish hens

6. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    There's also the Jumbo Coturnix.

7. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Quote:not really.. i butcher excess bantams and silkies.. some people eat dove and pigeons

nice thing is, small birds process fast!

8. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:coturnix are smaller birds...only thing is they are ready at 8 weeks, as bobs might not be ready till 18 weeks which will cost you alot more in feed/time/cleaning, that and bobs fight alot.

coturnix are cheap, but if your worried about it on a money level i think its better to have cornish hens

For bobs try more like 32-36 weeks depending on the breed, GG BB etc.

9. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Quote:not really.. i butcher excess bantams and silkies.. some people eat dove and pigeons

nice thing is, small birds process fast!

I love the "single serving"
    I hate having leftovers, they get forgotten and tossed, or freezer burn.

10. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland

For bobs try more like 32-36 weeks depending on the breed, GG BB etc.

oh darn, i ment 18 months(for some of the largers like butlers(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by