sell me on this

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by kinnip, Sep 8, 2008.

1. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I'm trying to convince myself that processing my extra roos is the right thing to do. I've never done it before, or even witnessed it. I know it won't be and shouldn't be easy. I'm just trying to find that magic turn of phrase the convinces me that this is good husbandry.
    If I just can't do it, does anyone know a small processor in GA?

2. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

I did cornishX for the first time this summer, two different flocks. I put it in my mind that it would be just like the wild birds we've hunted and eaten all my life. Still, I insisted it had to be done where my geese could not see me! And, I also insisted I was the one holding them when the hatchet fell...they knew me, I held them and fed them, they needed as stress free death as possible, I felt, and it worked well except I had a complete rain suit on and had to hold them where they wouldn't bruise in the death throes.

I am dragging my feet now on my extra roo's...but I'm far away from others and feel they'd die just as kindly as the CornishX and feed me, I've just got to do it before they begin fighting...to keep it all pleasant and stress free as possible.

With the CornishX, it was easy to feel thankful afterward as I could see if I'd tried to keep them longer, they would have died on me. With the extra roo's, its easy to say that they'll begin tearing each other up and don't need to live w/that kind of stress...but choosing which one to keep...that's another story...that is NOT easy!

3. kinnip

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    You've got a good heart. It's precisely the thought that they trust me that makes this so hard. Of course, it makes it easier on the bird. I guess I have a little selfishness to get over.

4. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

Hugs, its not selfishness. Its a hard thing that we must toughen ourselves over because in reality there are always too many roo's and we cannot afford to house them separately and it would be unkind to do so when they were meant to be with a flock, doing their duty to the best of their ability...it may be easier in warmer climates to house them separately, especially if they are show quality or in a breeding program but still, it must be very stressful for them. Even monks fight with themselves when they take vows of abstinence and with animals, abstinence is not in their hard wiring!

5. Poler

Poler Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    I'm in the same boat, I just selected three of my five roosters for the butcher block. For me its a matter of space and wasted feed. I have a relatively small flock and five roosters is just far to many. They are eating their share of feed and taking up space that my hens could use and I wont get any return on them, so they got seperated this afternoon [​IMG]

6. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Here's a great link for anybody new to processing, or even experienced folks who would like another method to try.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=83181&p=1

That's for the how, here's a bit for the "why it's ok".

Too many roos are a source of constant uproar. They fight. They chase. They crow. They terrorize and gang rape the hens. Soon, you have a bunch of freaked out hens, with bare backs and bald heads, looking over their shoulders to run from the roos.

Egg production falls.
    Hens start looking for places to hide out.
    Young chicks are likely to be injured or killed by reckless roos running over them while fighting over the hens.

They can fight to the death.

Eat them. Then peace will reign once again, in the hen house, at least. The hens will heave a sigh of great relief. They will not miss the extra roos.

The extra roos will taste really good, properly prepared. If they're older than 12 weeks or so, I'd advise something other than frying or grilling. Something slow, like Crockpot or slow roast, brine them first, they'll be yummy. I can personally recommend chicken tacos, burritos, fajitas, enchiladas, tamales, or BBQ sandwich meat made from Crockpot cooked birds, even really old ones. Allow to cook until meat begins to fall off the bones when prodded with a fork. They're good for so much more than soup! Or pressure can them, that'll get 'em nice and tender. If I do something that doesn't use all the broth, I save it and freeze it, (or can it, if I'm pressure canning anyway) and use it instead of commercially canned broth for soup stock, turkey stuffing, fat-free gravy, and sauces. Even re-heated broth to dip meat in as you're eating it, is really good. Use for any recipe that calls for broth or stock. It'll be darker than the commercial stuff, and much richer. Makes wonderful chicken soup (even if you don't have a cold) or chicken and dumplings.

7. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Well said Jenny.

8. kinnip

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Quote:I second that. That's the argument I've been giving myself in my head. I think I needed someone else to say it, just to be sure. Now I just need to select a method and which roos go. Thanks all of you.

9. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I agree that processing the extra roosters is better for the over all health of your flock. Additionally, having chicken to eat that you have raised, knowing that it hasn't been chemically enhanced to promote growth, should make you feel much better about the food you are preparing for your family. Somehow the smell of fried chicken lessens any remorse you might feel.

10. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    But I don't see a moral difference between butchering chickens & taking them somewhere to be butchered. Kind of like the difference between shooting someone & hiring a hit man.
    Buchering chickens is a lot of work & mess & I'm kind of lazy-that's why I take my to a local slaughter house. They charge a buck a bird & do a good job.
    As to the butcher or keep question itself the answer is simple if you aren't emotionally attached to the bird-there's no good reason to house & feed males you don't intend to use for breeding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by