Sell or Eat? What sex are my Buff Brahmas?

Blooms&Brood

Songster
Dec 30, 2017
KC Area
I received 4 Buff Brahmas as part of my Xmas Hatchery Adoption special. These chicks are 7 weeks old today. I've never had a pea-combed bird. Can someone assist in sexing? They look identical to me other than one is slow to feather on it's legs. I plan to sell any pullets and butcher the cockerels.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_3291.JPG
    IMG_3291.JPG
    659.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3292.JPG
    IMG_3292.JPG
    606.2 KB · Views: 42
Usually at around 14-16 weeks cockerels will start showing a darker wing bar. Also I'd wait until your cockerels are around 6-7 months old to butcher them. Any younger than that they'll be mostly bones. Brahmas are slow developing and put most of their energy into bone growth rather than getting fat and meaty until then.

I really appreciate the information. I butchered favorelles at 16 weeks this fall and the meat was REALLY great. I kept one roo who is absolutely stunning however he's almost 6 months old and hasn't crowed yet. That's OK, just not what I expected. His three brothers did by 16 weeks.

Anyhow, I'm also in Missouri, just south of KC. We hunt in Chula, maybe near your neck of the woods??? Do you ever sell hatching eggs? I'm thinking about trying my hand at hatching in late summer. My husband has been looking into incubators for me. It's nice to meet you. Thanks for taking the time to reply to my thread.

I'm a county over to the NW from Chula in Harrison County. I usually stop my incubator in July, or I try to anyhow. I've got to stop hatching so many chicks. Last year I did good and only hatched around 350. But the year before I hatched a little over 700. Can't be doing that again. It takes so many chicks with my project colors though. So anyhow, I do usually have eggs to sell in the late summer. Always good to meet a fellow NW Missourian. Glad help in any way I can.

Just an update, I had no trouble selling them all to a local buyer. We both agreed strongly that it appeared to be one cockerel and three pullets. The supposed cockerel had a stark red pea comb, more developed wattles, slower feather growth on the shanks and was generally a heavier bird. The buyer said they would check back in two months to let me know. Thanks everyone for your help.

Back
Top Bottom