Seller 35 minutes away but will only ship eggs.......

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ThreeBoysChicks, Apr 7, 2009.

1. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    So I have been looking for a specific breed of bantams and located a seller who is selling on ebay and eggbid. Noted that they live 35 minutes away from me. I contacted them because I wanted to purchase their eggs on eggbid, but wanted to pick them up so as to increase my chances of a good hatch.

They seller replied to my email stating that they will only ship. I was not asking for a gudied tour of their farm. We could even meet at a seperate location.

Is it just me or is that odd?

I don't think I am going to purchase from them, what would do?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Depends on why he'll only ship.Could be that he/she doesn't want anyone to see the operation, could be because of bio-security, could be he/she doesn't actually own the birds that the eggs are coming from. Hard to say.

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Meet them at the post office? [​IMG]

4. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    They might be concerned about biosecurity, or their is something they want to hide like bad conditions the birds live in.

I would ask them the reason, anyway it is a big red flag to me.

5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    It's probably biosecurity measures. Plus, people are getting braver in tough times. If you invite someone over that wants chickens then they see all you have, know where you live, and probably know your work schedule if you had to schedule a time to meet. You can never be too careful.

Ask to see if they will be willing to meet in a neutral location close to his/her home.

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I would contact them again asking if they will meet you somewhere off site. Explain that you are worried about the air cell and reduced hatchability due to poor handling during shipping. If they still act all weird and paranoid, just wait and see if you can find someone else to buy them from.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  7. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    A lot of people have been burned and don't want to meet any more. You drive to the proposed spot and wait and wait and wait! I can see where shipping would be preferred after that!

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hey, Ed, you can drive down here! I'll send directions. [​IMG]

9. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I would contact them again, with the option to meet elsewhere near where they are first. If they still object, I don't know what to say?! It does seem odd.

However, there are a LOT of crimes being committed in this day in age with everything going on. One of my neighbors voiced their concern about us having a tag sale... they were afraid someone would come down the neighborhood and stake out houses to loot. I actually felt guilty because they were right... but I needed to spring clean the house and get some $$$$.

10. jonesgirl

jonesgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Nevada
    What is Bio Security?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by