Seller said Dark Brahma... I have doubts!

jennymerchant

Hatching
7 Years
May 29, 2012
I brought this girl home with 4 others (different breeds) on May 5. She was the only "Dark Brahma" I ordered. I'm new to chickens so didn't question it when I picked her up but now that I've had her a few weeks, I don't think she is a Brahma - there is no hint of leg/feet feathers, her color isn't anything like a Brahma - she is all black with some gold on her chest (and a LITTLE bit on the back of her neck). She is about 12-13 weeks old. I called the seller who said Brahmas can start off black with gold and change color. Really? I'm looking for a second (and third and fourth and...) opinion. Thanks!

akcountrygrrl

Songster
9 Years
Apr 3, 2010
Nenana, AK
She also looks like she has a single comb vs a pea comb. No, dark Brahmas don't start out black and gold with clean legs and magically turn black/white partridge pattern with feathered legs as they get older. Looks more like a black sex link to me.

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
It's not a Brahma--no feathered legs. Could be a Brahma cross, I guess. The head is shaped like a Brahma and it seems to have a modified pea comb, though the picture is blurred at that location so can't be sure.

Last edited:

jennymerchant

Hatching
7 Years
May 29, 2012
Here is a better pic of her head. You're probably right - black sex link. I was kinda hoping she was a Copper Marans but that was a long shot. I ordered a Brahma because of their gentle nature (I have young kids) and winter hardiness (I'm in the Northeast). I don't want to exchange her for another breed, though - I've gotten quite fond of her! She's definitely the bravest and bossiest of the flock (others are easter-eggers and buff orps). But I won't buy from this seller again, not knowing what I'm getting.

Pele

Songster
8 Years
Feb 25, 2011
Boise
Lol, I'm sorry but that's no Dark Brahma. You have yourself a Black Sex-link. She'll lay you eggs like crazy, and they are generally pretty docile.

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
Okay, that picture is better. Yes, I agree on the BSL. The head shape in the first pic looked Brahma-esque, which is why I thought maybe a rooster jumped the fence and it was a possible Brahma cross.

Top Bottom