Sellers remorse :( Have you ever?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Teresaann24, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Have you ever sold chicken/'s and missed them or felt bad that you did?

I sold 7 young silkies I hatched out back in march. I planned on keeping till fell on some hard times and could really use the money. I miss them big time and hate that I sold them I really miss seeing them running around the yard. [​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I'm sorry, that's sad.

Hope you feel better about it soon

Imp

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Im sorry and I know how you feel. I hatched 22 chicks 3 weeks ago and sold them Saturday. I was really sad to see them go after I watched them come into the world,but I am glad they all went to the same home.

4. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Awww... I'm sorry. I have a seriously hard time separating from any of my birds ever. But I need to be rid of these Japanese Bantams bad... I need their coop for more silkies!!!! [​IMG]

5. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Everytime I sell one I feel bad...then I go get more so I will feel better.

Chicken owning is a vicious circle. [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yeah, I wish I could keep them all, but have to be realistic. It helps if I am giving/selling them to folks I know well so that I'm sure they'll be properly cared for.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If I didn't sell some every now and again, someone would have the "Hoarders" film crew in my back yard.

I was evaluating tonight and I've decided I've got to sell 2 or 3 polish pullets and a roo, 1 Cuckoo Marans hen,
    2 FBCM hens, a couple of wheaten Am. pullets and perhaps a blue wheaten roo.

That way I'll have room for the ones I'l be hatching out in January.

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I'm about to suffer that same situation and trying not to dread it. I promised two BYCers (one a friend I have met, the other is a mutual friend of the first) a couple of my birds when they were all feathered out and hardened up and ready to go to new homes. Every day I look at the ones they're interested in and hope they don't want THIS one, or THAT one, but that's not fair, they should get to pick, right? I haven't named any of those two hatches (of breeds) because I shouldn't name some and not all of 'em, and it's not fair to name someone else's chicken, right?

And, in reality, I NEED to divest myself of some of these chicks I'm hatching. I love growin' 'em up. I love keepin' em, but in a few weeks I am going to be buried in chickens. [​IMG]

I still intend to just give away young chickens to BYCers. That way I KNOW they will go to good homes. However, everybody on BYC is lookin' to get rid of roos themselves, so I may have to resort to CraigsList for the roosters.... and even some of the pullets.

So I totally understand the OP's feelings - and I haven't even experienced it yet!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  9. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Yes.....

For the most part, my girls go to good and loving BYC homes. It is hard to say goodbye, but like others - the leaving chickens have others coming along to take their place.

I did sell a batch of chicks to people I "hardly knew" and had nightmares for about a week. After they had picked out the chicks, were in their car and pulling away - the lady remarks to me "I hope this group last longer than last weeks"

WHAT! - I shouted out to her.

Her reply - The last group died, we are not sure why - I think they froze. We kept them in a box in the garage.

So I went over chick care with them thru the car window - heat, food, water, etc.

Do not worry she says..............hubby has raised chickens before. [​IMG]

I have never heard back from them, and still wonder if I sent those wonderful chicks to their death. [​IMG] Do not get me wrong, I do not mind chicken death - and eat my extra cockerels/roos - but the thought/image of those chicks huddled together for warmth, peeping and crying, wondering what the heck happend - ugh..........I might not be cut out to sell chicks and just stick to POL girls.

10. V Comb

V Comb Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by