Selling a home (w/chickens)?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Moselle, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Moselle

Moselle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Anyone tried to sell their city or suburban home with chickens in the back yard? (The chickens are NOT for sale [​IMG]) Just wondering if it's a great hinderance, or not a big deal. The coop itself looks nice and neat. Our neighbors are fine with them, but it's not a common thing around here.

2. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Typically any outbuildings are considered "improvements" to the property. If it's tidy I think the chickens themselves will just make them want the property and some chickens.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] You might want to ask people who DON'T have chickens.... all of us here would be THRILLED to see that! [​IMG]

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Exactly my thinking! It would make me like the property more, but my sister-in-law would probably think it's dirty [​IMG] .

5. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Have to agree with wildsky......I would be thrilled. But I think it could work either way.....it would certainly help buyers remember your house.

Anne

6. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    I have an acquaintance that was looking for a home here. She told me about how gross, nasty, etc. she thought it was that someone had chickens in the yard at a house she saw. They would never buy a house with chickens, ewww! She's never been in my yard, obviously [​IMG]

I plan on cutting the numbers in 3 years when we plan to move and being VERY TIDY.

7. Moselle

Moselle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Quote:(Fortunately?), we only have 7 chickens and so they don't take up all that much space. I think we can make it look sweet and homey for a showing with fresh straw in the run and fresh paint on the outside - their big yard can be moved/taken down, so it won't look like we're overrun! [​IMG]

8. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Every time I drive by a house that's for sale, I always scope out any outbuildings that might be suitable for a coop! [​IMG]

9. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    When you are selling a home those that don't like the interior paint will usually paint it their own color. When they see that coop with chickens they may be envisioning their own pets whatever they are in there or thinking storage. I do not think chickens on the property would make or break most sales.

10. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    If it's any consolation, I have an acquaintance that had chickens and was selling their house.

They were worried about finding homes for their chickens and their gender confused duck (looked like a male mallard, laid exactly 1 egg and then never laid any more) when the house sold.

Wouldn't you know it, the people who ended up buying the house insisted they put the chickens in the CONTRACT for sale - that they went WITH the house!

Worked out great for everyone. Maybe you will be so lucky (except you can take YOUR chickens and they can get their OWN to fill up the coop!!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by