Selling adults for less than babies? Anybody do this?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ksj0225, Nov 18, 2011.

1. ksj0225

ksj0225 Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2010
    Greenville, NC
    I posted an add for ducks for sale and said prices were 5-15 depending on ages as I had babies up to adults. I had one guy show up thinking the adults were 5 dollars....

Am I missing something??? Obviously I will make my add more detailed next time, but these weren't old culls by any means and we were just thinning the ranks as we have great broody ducks and were just going to sell some before winter hit.

Does anybody sell this way? With babies being more expensive?

2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    I've never heard of selling them like that. the chicks are always less expensive

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Quote:X2

For the unenlightened(ignorant) customer you could gently remind them that they ate more than $15 of food to get to that age and you're not of a mind to give money away.

4. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    it is possible that he assumed the adults were old birds past their prime.

5. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    Or he wanted a deal? sense he assumed they won't live as long as the chickies.

6. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:X2

For the unenlightened(ignorant) customer you could gently remind them that they ate more than $15 of food to get to that age and you're not of a mind to give money away.

X3

I very often find 3 year old chickens being sold for $20 each... IMO that is too much, since they aren't much good for anything, but they seam to sell... I guess there is something I don't know.

7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Usually they get more expensive as they get older, since you have more feed and work into them. The exception is for old layers. Usually they're cheaper after they've been laying for several years and are being culled from the flock. An older hen for the the stew pot is cheaper than a POI pullet.

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Unfortunately, many people give their adult birds away for free when they no longer want them. The public is well trained to think they can get adult poultry for free.

Mine are priced by quality, and yes, the older birds are more because I have a lot of time and feed invested in them. Plus, they are graded for quality, so you know what you are getting. A duckling might be cheaper, but it is a risk. You can't tell what it will grow up to be.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  9. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Id say the adults would be more expensive because they are already started and you know exactly what you are getting.

10. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I've sold birds for as much as $25 each on craigslist including roosters but they were rare.
    I'm listing a Partridge Penedesenca roo on CL today for $30. Wish me luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by