Selling/ advertising advice for chicks?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickeneer45, Jul 30, 2013.

1. chickeneer45

chickeneer45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    Recently, I incubated six eggs because I thought it would be fun to watch a hatch. It was fun and the chicks are now two weeks old. I have posted them: free to good home on at least five different sites including Craigslist and under the For Sale forum on this site. If I had known that it would be this hard to sell them, I probably never would have hatched them since I cannot keep them. On top of that, two of my hens went broody and hatched four chicks between the two of them. I also have to find some way to sell them. And when I say "sell", I mean find a good home free of charge. They are all sweet chicks and I live in Virginia- just north of richmond. Two of the chicks are even pure bred brown leghorns-- and yet: no takers... :( I really am at a loss for what to do. People make it sound so easy finding homes for chicks, but as far as I can tell, its extremely difficult. If anyone can give me any advice on how to find them homes, that would be wonderful because I really don't know what to do. Thanks to anyone who has experience with selling chicks for their potential advice. Also, if you are personally interested in them, let me know. I have no idea how shipping works so I only deal locally. I really wasn't sure where to post this, so hopefully this was the right place. Thanks again!

2. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    The reason that you don't have interest is that the chicks can conceivably be all roosters. Most people buy from a local feed store or a hatchery in order to get specifically what they want and that is usually hens. This way they are sexed by experts with a high percentage (90% or more) of being the correct gender. You can call a few local feed stores to see if they will take your chicks but my guess is that they will not. Put a sign at the road "Free Chicks". We often order 15 or 20 chicks from the hatchery each year and if one turns out to be a rooster then we keep it anyway.

I would not hatch anymore eggs unless you have the room to keep what you bring to life.

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Find a local poultry club. Then you are talking to other poultry people.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by