Selling All My Sebastopols!!! Can't take it anymore!!!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by JordanFamily, Jun 29, 2011.

1. JordanFamily

JordanFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Harrisonville, MO
    I've thought long and hard about it and have decided to sell my flock of 17 Sebastopols... I am just so sick and tired of preditors killing them off ... So I put them on the auction page... I am going to take the money I get from them and give back $ to buyers that prepaid for goslings... I'm just not going to have them ever again... It just breaks my heart!!! [​IMG] But I can't stand having dead geese when I get so close to them and go out to give them a treat and find them murdered.... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sure it's very hard for you. [​IMG]

3. cbohn80

cbohn80 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    nj
    sorry about your birds but why dont you use the money you get for the goslings to build a more secure run for them. i keep my ducks in a fully enclosed pen and only let them free range for a few hours during the day

4. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:x2 You seem to love them a lot....it's a thought! Sorry you have lost some [​IMG]

5. JordanFamily

JordanFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Harrisonville, MO
    Quote:I have... Whatever is killing them is pulling them through the wires... I think they get their beaks through and it grabs and pulls until it gets their whole head and neck through and decapitates them... So I have had to lock them totally inclosed in my barn and that is no way to live... I would rather they go to someone that can let them see the sun again.... I just hope whatever it is does not get in the barn to get them.... It was big enough to set off the largest racoon trap and move it 3 feet, and it was big enough to carry off a almost full grown goose... After all my peachicks and goslings in their brooders were killed and several adults, and weeks of trying new things, I have finally tossed in the towel.... I just can't allow this to keep happening.... [​IMG]

6. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    Sounds like raccoons, probably more than one. I lost geese years ago inside 2 fences to 2 raccoons and we caught them. Hot wire about 4-6' at ground level and one again or 2 on a 4 foot fence would stop the "murder". You can get a solar charger for around 100$ at any feed type store or Home depot and connecters and wire. Whole set up might cost about 125-150$. Or you can get a plug in charger for around 40& and run an outside extension cord (which we have done for 20 years now and ours is connecter to our horse charger, which pulses.....(low impedence). Reading the "predator" section will help here......

7. n4zty

n4zty Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    thats crazy here in florida where i live we always used to worry about raccoons and possums killing our chickens but strangely enough they never bothered my white embeden goose perhaps beacause he was really aggressive. so i always assumed they never went for geese beacause of their size and agression perhaps thats not the case.

8. sebastopol

sebastopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Basque Country, Spain
    Don't sell all your Sebastopol. Protect them from predators. They're really lovely. I'd like to buy any of yours beauties but I live in Spain. Here this breed is very rare but i've a male and 3 goslings. The mother died killed-[​IMG]

9. Oneacre Homestead

Oneacre Homestead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Raccoons are the Worst!!!! They killed over half my flock of chickens! They are awful but you are actually smarter than they are!!! You can do it:
    We put up a strong tall fence 2x4 horse fence Dug way into the ground wiith a hot wire around the top and it stopped them cold. Once they get shocked they will stop! You have to use the plain wire-7000 volts or something. My husband put it in with a big ground rod and everything and I touched it once by accident and it was no joke. I thought someone hit me with a hammer. It would knock a racoon flat on it's back!! Just switch it off when you go over there.
    The electrified poultry netting is NOTHING- don't use that!!! it is really hard to ground and only gives a tiny pulse, but a real hot wire will do it!
    Our raccoons wouldn't go in the trap either...

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  10. Ceinwyn

Ceinwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Southeast Ohio
    [​IMG]
    So sorry this happened to you.
    Perhaps investing in a LGD would help?
    We have great pyreneese and have never lost a chicken or goose and we keep neither penned.
    I hope you find something that works, so sad to see you loose something you love so much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by