Selling all the Chickens and raising Ducks. Input please.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickens really, Jun 28, 2016.

1. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I have been raising Chickens for a while now and have come to the conclusion, that I really can not handle the fighting, scwabbles and dust from chickens. Don't get me started on Roosters...Horrible experience that was.

Just wondering if anyone else has had that feeling to sell off the chickens and have Ducks. My ducks are great little buddies. They follow me around, sleep at my feet, never fight unless breeding. I do feel bad letting them all go. I am now getting Two bantam geese next week once the chickens are gone and will start raising Ducks and Geese.

Any input will be appreciated.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Chickens tend to need lots of room to be mostly peaceful, many don't do well under confinement, and chickens tend to be more dramatic than other species of poultry. If they aren't making you happy than perhaps trying other species might work better for you. I wouldn't want to find my hobbies and pets making me unhappy. So certainly follow your gut and try geese and ducks to see if it's a better fit. You can always try chickens again down the road if you find yourself missing them.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I will take the squawking and squabbling of chickens, over the wet mess of ducks, any day.
    Males of any species can be a problem if not managed well.

4. chickens really

I am still on the fence with my decision.
    Very hard to just up and sell all my chickens. I am hauling all my cockerels to the farm this weekend. 14 of the buggers on a 7 hour road trip.
    I agree Ducks are messy, yet I enjoy them. Drakes can be a handful unless managed properly. I have that all under control.
    Not sure if I will keep a Rooster? I do not plan to raise chicks, so I really don't need the hassle.
    I have been over whelmed by Chickens this year. I had six hens, bought 32 chicks this spring. Out of the 32, 17 are cockerels that fight through out the day. They are in a separate pen from the hens and Pullets.
    I do free range all my chickens and the ducks.

I totally appreciate the input I have received, Some of the Hen/pullets I am rather fond of.
    I will keep reading the replies as they come and wont be hasty in my decision.

5. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Chicken math must include subtraction :D
    I eat all my hatched cockerels....kinda keeps the hatching/purchasing numbers down.

6. chickens really

I read your Space requirement for chickens. That has me down sizing my flock to 7 hens. I also have some very big breeds that will require the space. Two Orpingtons, two Danish brown leghorns, three Ameruacana, four Speckled Sussex and the rooster.
    My coop is 10x14 and the enclosed attached run is also 10x14.

Thanks

7. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

1 person likes this.
  8. chickens really

I understand you never wrote it...The cockerels are going to the Family farm to be butchered in the fall. Yes, I sure have been over whelmed by the cockerels fighting non stop. The hens and pullets do argue but that is just normal chicken behaviour. I have a buyer for a few of my pullets.
    I think that is the way I will go first. Down size and get things calmer around here.

Cheers!

9. chickens really

As far as the geese go....I am not getting them. Did some research and chatted with a guy I know that has exotic birds. He warned me that they will not be for me at all.
    Phew!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by