Selling And Buying Meat Birds In NC

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by deb1, Aug 24, 2008.

1. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    I don't have any meat birds and will probably not ever have enough to sell. But I thought that the laws for selling directly to the customer here in NC seem fair.
    I thought that I would post them and a link for anyone in my state who might have some excess birds and wish to sell directly to individuals.

Exemption for Small-scale Poultry and Rabbit Producers
    The NCDA&CS law allows an individual to process and sell without inspection in intrastate commerce up to 1,000 chickens, 250 turkeys, or 1,000 rabbits per calendar year of his/her own raising*. If in excess of 1,000 animals are processed, NCDA&CS must inspect the facilities for sanitation. Above 20,000 per year requires full NCDA&CS inspection. The farmer should keep accurate records to prove to Department of Agriculture officials that the bird/rabbit limit has not been exceeded. See Inspection Requirements for Meat and Poultry Businesses for more information.

The law permits uninspected poultry and rabbits to be sold at farmers' markets and to restaurants as long as it is properly labeled with the farmer's name and address.

* Federal meat inspection rules state that a processor may not simultaneously operate under more than one exemption. Therefore, a producer of chickens, turkeys, and rabbits may only process one of these species under the exemption.

Questions? Contact the NCDA&CS Meat and Poultry Division at 919-733-4136.

I found the information here. http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/chatham/ag/SustAg/meatandeggs.html

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by