1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Selling baby chicks.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crazzzymike13, Feb 7, 2012.

1. crazzzymike13

crazzzymike13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Texas
    This might be a stupid question, but i was just wondering what should I charge if I were to sell mixed breed chicks and full grown chickens. I always seem to just give them away all the time because I am trying to be nice. But i think people kinda take advantage of that.That way I can make some money and get rid of people who just want something free. Thanks.

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    A lot depends on where you are located & the time of year. A couple of years ago I ordered more than I needed and sold the remainder (sexed pullets) for $3/apiece. At another time of year I might have only got $2 apiece for 'em.

3. DanielHoover

DanielHoover Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2012
    I figure any locally raised chick should be work 5 dollars. Eight dollars is a fair price
    for a mixed breed rooster. I charge fifteen dollars for my crossbred pullets.

4. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    I bought my original chicks for $2. to $6. each... (in person, from a local, unofficial breeder).... depending on age, the older they get the more $.... some were laying mixes, some were Black Australorps, some were Barred Rock... It seemed to average out to about $1. per week of age? Mostly pullets, a few surprise roos.

5. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    I have a blue egger project I am workin on. This year I decided to sell day old chicks locally to see if there was any market. I put an ad on craigslist for $5.00 ea. I got 1 reply in 24 hours and they cam out and offered me $4.00 each for the lot of them. They want me to let them know when I have more. Apparantly they have Easter Eggers and their friends love the colorful eggs but they want to make sure they are going to get blue eggs.

Anyhoo, my point is I guess, that you don't know till you try.

Lanae

6. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I hatch pure bred chicks. Usually white and brown leghorns and dominique/barred-rock and I sell them at a few days old to a local feed store for $1 each. If folks looking to get something for nothing, I inform them that I sell my chicks to the feed store and they can find them there. I may lie and say I have none available.

7. crazzzymike13

crazzzymike13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Texas
    Thanks for the replies.

8. silkymom1986

silkymom1986 The Silkie Villa

Sep 28, 2011
    Byhalia, MS
    I sell chicks for $3 and full grown laying hen for $20 to $30 depending if it's full breed or mixed.

9. VI KING RANCH

VI KING RANCH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Campbell River
    I sell chicks for $5-$10.
    I sell Pullets for $25+
    I sell Cocks for $15+
    As chicks get older I add $1 a week for the first two weeks then after that $2 a week
    I always sell out of birds and have people come back year after year to get more.

10. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    The going rates in my area from swap shop, traders post, farmers market, etc:
    chicks 1.50 - 3.00
    teenage chicks unsexed 3.00-5.00

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by