Selling Bantam eggs for consumption...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by urbanfarmers, Jun 25, 2010.

1. urbanfarmers

urbanfarmers Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2010
    Bellevue, Nebraska
    I'm not at the point of selling eggs just yet...hope to be one day...but was wondering if anyone would buy bantam eggs for consumption. I know they are smaller than regular eggs so wasn't sure if that would upset people who are looking to buy 'home-raised & hand-picked' eggs. If I sell them do I sell them for the same price as regular eggs or do I double the amount of eggs for the same price as regular eggs...I was told it takes 2 bantam eggs to equal 1 regular egg. Maybe I just need to break down and get regular size chickens???

2. zavierchick

zavierchick Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2009
    Lakewood, CO
    I'm interested in hearing this too - we are selling other goodies at farmer's markets here and I'm curious about adding bantie eggs later in the summer when we (hopefully) have enough to share [​IMG]

3. rubyrogue

rubyrogue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    When I have them I sell them for half of what I sell my larger eggs for. Usually those are the eggs I keep for myself/family to eat or give away as "taste testers"

4. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    If I would go to a farmers market to get fresh produce, I would most probbaly go for the bigger eggs and not for bantam eggs.
    If the eggs were of a small/medium size then I think I would consider them. That's what I would do, IMO though I think I would go try some smaller bantie eggs instead.

Hopefully this helped.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If you are in an area with a large "foodie" type population, who might be intrigued by the novelty value and the thought of doing cutesy things with half-sized fried or boiled eggs, I bet you could find takers.

Otherwise it might be a hard sell, to people who want them just for *practical* purposes.

Just a guess though,

Pat

6. urbanfarmers

urbanfarmers Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2010
    Bellevue, Nebraska
    Thanks everyone for your input, it's very helpful. As for using them as taste-testers....LOVE that idea!!! I could do a half dozen of Bantam eggs as taste testers for potential buyers and then allow them to purchase the 'regular size' eggs for daily/regular consumption. Looks like I'm going to need to invest in some regular size girls!

7. coastaltx

coastaltx Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2010
    Third Coast
    Market them as "diet eggs" and charge $4 a dozen!! As the big corps do, smaller package equals more money..

8. jodief100

jodief100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    N Kentucky/Cincinnati
    I have sold Bantam eggs before, for less than the full size ones. $2 dozen for "standard" ones and $1.25 for banty ones.

I like banty eggs. They make great little snacks hard boiled and for deviled eggs at a party. I can make more and people can snack without filling up. Also good for when I split recipes in half and it calls for 1 egg. My young nieces like the novelty and when they were really little, 1 banty egg was enough for a toddlers breakfast. All of these make for good selling points. Another good thing is I like to have a breakfast of eggs and sausage and bisquits so I can have a "big" breakfast with smaller servings of everything. And one banty eggs fits perfectly on small breakfast sandwiches.

I don't know if having standard eggs in addition to the banty ones would be a requirement but I suspect it would be best to have both. Most customers want both and if they have to go somewhere else for the big ones they might not bother.

I miss my banties.... the feral cats (darn heathens my wonderful hubby calls them) got them. They won't touch the big ones.

9. crazyegg

crazyegg Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2010
    The Volunteer State
    Sell them as "specialty" eggs. They are great for kids, pickled eggs, special salad garnishes, things like that. [​IMG]

10. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    I have Mostly bantams....I sell a dozen eggs mixed mainly bantam and a few large for 4 or 5 dollars a dozen (at my husbands work, in a large beach city). What seems to be a selling point is the beautiful mix of sizes and colors. City people are endlessly intrigued by this novelty factor. So try to get a mix of colors and don't think that small is a "negative" factor. Oh, also I have started giving good customers a couple extra small eggs (maybe 14 or 15 instread of a dozen. I put them in a small white paper bag.
    Personally, I prefer eating the bantam eggs for my breakfast. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by