Selling birds, WWYD in this situation

TicketyBoo

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 14, 2009
What would you do if someone drove several hours to buy some birds and planned to transport them in a very inappropriate way?
i.e. too many birds to one cage, using plastic feed bags, too many hours without food/water...?
These are breeder birds so as much as I'd like to make money off of them, it would be a real waste if something happened to them on the journey home. Would you turn the person away or what would you do?

If I had stuff on hand to make something that would work I'd do that. Otherwise I'd only let them take what could be transported safely.

Probably help to do a --gee I'm so sorry, I wish we'd had better communication. This set-up would make it very likely your new birds wouldn't survive the drive home and that wouldn't be good for anybody. Next time be sure to have..... Perhaps offer to hold the birds that won't fit for a little longer or even meet 1/2 way with them if that is a possibility for you. Good luck!

Quote:
I agree with Cammy but it would also cross my mind that if they planned to transport the birds in inappropriate conditions, how will be birds be living once they reach the buyer's home? I would just strike up a casual conversation about housing, feeding, future plans for breeding, etc. and see how much of a warm fuzzy you got. If I didn't feel comfortable, I would probably refuse to sell. I only have birds for pets and eggs so I am not really in the know about this type of thing but this is just my opinion. Good luck.

Last edited:
Quote:
I agree with Cammy but it would also cross my mind that if they planned to transport the birds in inappropriate conditions, how will be birds be living once they reach the buyer's home? I would just strike up a casual conversation about housing, feeding, future plans for breeding, etc. and see how much of a warm fuzzy you got. If I didn't feel comfortable, I would probably refuse to sell. I only have birds for pets and eggs so I am not really in the know about this type of thing but this is just my opinion. Good luck.

I didn't think about that, but you have a good point. If they don't know how to transport, then maybe they don't know how to properly care for them either.

Once I sell a bird it's not mine anymore. How it's transported is the new owners business.
But I do keep boxes on hand because it's surprising how many people come for birds w/o bringing anything to put them in.

I had a guy show up one day- he casually waltzed into the pen, had no cage and said he neede chickens because all of his had just died. After I got him away from the birds I told him that I was not going to sell/give him any birds. He bowed up and made me nervous.

I told him he needed to leave. After a bit of trying to wheedle, he left. People like that are why I keep pepper spray in my pocket.

My policy is that any bird I sell or give away will be treated decently while on my property, or it doesn't leave.

Last edited:
I would inform them of the cages/boxes they needed to bring--BEFORE they came to get them. I would also have cardboard boxes (fruit boxes are great) for them to have extra room.. I would also have them sign a wavier IF they took the birds in an 'unapproved' container that it was NOT my fault/responsiblity and would not refund money for ill or death.

I did ask about transportation ahead of time and specified that I did NOT have any boxes available that were large enough. I was assured that they would have a large cage that fit into their vehicle. I described in detail the size of the birds so they would be fully prepared. So it came as a bit of a surprise that the large cage was big enough for maybe 2 out of 6 birds.
roll.png
I know better now! I should have just said No. I have no idea if they survived the trip
sad.png

And now I am seriously questioning the conditions they were moving to. I feel particularly bad because they were raised in pretty much a poultry condo and had excellent plumage. Ahhh the fine line between raising them as pets or as livestock.

I always keep a stack of extra boxes on hand. Also when I go to a sale I take extra boxes with me so if people buy my birds they can take them home in the boxes I brought them in instead of cramming them into their already-full-cat carriers. I hate to see them put in feed bags
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom