Selling chickens at County Fairs -- question

Sunny Side Up

Count your many blessings...
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Loxahatchee, Florida
I am curious about what the policies are at other Fairs. In past years our local fair has allowed exhibitors to sell their birds to any fairgoer. The chicken owner negotiated their own terms with their buyers, handled all exchange of money. The chickens need to be kept on exhibit for the full time of the fair. The chicken owners can take their birds home at the close of the Fair, they also can have their buyers come at that time to take the birds they've bought home directly from the Fair.

This year we're being told that 10% of the price any bird is sold for must be paid to the Fair. Is this a policy that most county fairs have? How do they manage to keep everyone honest about it?

I don't sell chickens any other time, it's too much hassle & heartbreak. But at this fair there are many visitors looking to buy laying hens, so I always raise up a batch of hatchery pullets to show & sell at the fair. I can get a better price there, but it still doesn't earn me a huge profit. I'm not happy about having to pay this fee.

I'm part of a "chicken club" that volunteers manymanymany hours to prepare & manage the Poultry Tent at this Fair so I feel that I've already donated a lot of value to the organization.

What are things like at county fairs where you have exhibited?

I don’t know but would like to know as well if you are allowed to sell hybrids like I want to sell some cockerels but they are all farmyard crosses.

I have never noticed bird sales at our county fair, I believe it’s just a show.

Who cares for the birds at your fair? Are you responsible for your own birds? I could see 10% commission if volunteers care for all the birds or if supplies are provided to you. It could also be for tax purposes. I have been to smaller livestock shows that don’t allow exhibitors to sell unless they obtain a vendor license.

I would just up your price slightly to cover the commission.

I'm going to go to the Clinton county fair and they only require that I have full ownership of the birds and that I have documents to prove it. I´m also taking care of the birds and they are just extra roosters that I need to get rid of.

Back
Top Bottom