Selling Chickens in Texas....

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by rynegold, Mar 17, 2013.

  1. rynegold

    rynegold Out Of The Brooder

    Apr 30, 2011
    So to go to a swap meet/fairgrounds show here in Texas, I know you have to have a "license" or permit or... something proving your flock/coop is disease free?

    What is the document? I've called everyone I can think of; health dept., county ag extension agent, food and drug permits, and no one knows what I'm asking for.

    Anyone out there in Texas know what I'm talking about?

    You apparently must have it to get on the grounds and sell anything.

  2. AccidentalFarm

    AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

    Mar 29, 2007
    Here's some information i found regarding poultry sales in Texas. I live here, but i don't sell birds, so I have no first hand experience.
    I hope this helps. Good Luck! And be sure and come back and let us know what you find out.

    I found this in the Texas Administrative Code HERE :

    Public sales.
    Poultry offered for public sale or trade at markets such as trade days, flea markets, auctions, or any other public sale shall originate from pullorum-typhoid clean flocks or hatcheries. The seller shall furnish proof of the source of poultry or hatching eggs offered for public sale. The owner or management of any market or public sale shall prevent the sale, trade, or offer for sale of any poultry that is not properly qualified under the Texas Pullorum-Typhoid Program as prescribed by the Texas Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory (TVMDL) and/or the National Poultry Improvement Plan. Failure to enforce this requirement may result in the seeking of a court order prohibiting any further sale of poultry on the grounds. Poultry from states other than Texas shall be accompanied by a health certificate from the state of origin, including a negative pullorum-typhoid test within 30 days of the sale as described in subsection (e)(1) of this section. Poultry not properly identified and qualified as pullorum-typhoid clean are prohibited from sale and shall be returned to the owner's or dealer's premises.
    And this from the Texas Animal Health Commission (TAHC):
    (I've added a few excerpts from the document, but you can read the entire thing HERE.)

    Who has to register?
    • Sellers of domestic fowl, or domestic AND exotic fowl at
    public sites, such as auctions, flea markets, roadside stands
    and other public venues, such as feed stores, and live bird

    Are there registration exemptions? (continued)
    • Owners whose fl ocks participate in the National Poultry
    Improvement Plan’s (NPIP) U.S. Pullorum-Typhoid Clean (PT)
    and U.S. Avian Infl uenza Clean (LPAI) programs.
    • Persons who deal only in baby poultry originating from an
    NPIP hatchery.
    • Owners whose fl ocks are enrolled in Texas Poultry Federation’s
    avian infl uenza monitoring program.
    • Flea market or bird sale owners or managers do not need
    to register, unless they also are a vendor of birds within the
    establishment. (Individuals who sell birds at the site must
    register or obtain an exemption.)

    For Fowl Registration Information and Registration Applications, contact:
    Texas Animal Health Commission (TAHC) 1-800-550-8242, your local Region Offi ce,
    or by email at [email protected]
    Applications may be obtained from the TAHC website at,
    Mail completed application and fee to:
    Texas Animal Health Commission
    P.O. Box 12966
    Austin, TX. 78711-2966


    You can look HERE for info on NPIP Certification.

    I've seen a "Texas Poultry Improvement Program" referenced, but I haven't found any information on it.
  3. rynegold

    rynegold Out Of The Brooder

    Apr 30, 2011
    Ah ha! "Texas Animal Health Commission (TAHC)"

    Thanks accidental! I'll call'em today!
  4. AccidentalFarm

    AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

    Mar 29, 2007
    You're very welcome. [​IMG] Let us know what they say.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by