Selling Chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Thedukelife, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Thedukelife

Thedukelife Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2016
    how much would you recommend selling bantams for, also how much would you sell full blooded RIR Roosters for? They are 1 year old.

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Price is very much based on the individual bird and location of the seller. What kind of bantams? Cockerels or pullets? How old? What state/area are you in?

When you say "full blooded RIR", do you mean real Rhode Island Red? Or simply Production Reds? I imagine the latter, as true RIRs are near extinct. Personally I wouldn't pay a dime for a common PR cock, they are common as fleas.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    There is a glut of roosters on the market - and tons of free ones because no one wants them. Most towns won't allow roosters. And one rooster goes a long way (can handle 10 hens a piece). Most them probably get eaten - a reality of life.

4. Thedukelife

Oct 30, 2016
    I agree with both of you! But I've seen them for sale before online, and they guy I got them from(it was a package deal) said he paid something ridiculous like $35 a piece for the two of them and said they were special ordered. The bantams are also just black pullets, I think 3 are too young to lay still, and the other I have no clue.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. Thedukelife

Oct 30, 2016
    Thanks so much!!

7. Welcome to the BYC glad you hopped on . They are worth all you can get. Craigslist is a good place to check local prices and to market chickens. Flea markets and chicken swaps and if you have a livestock sale barn in your area that sales caged animals . These are all good places to get an ideal of prices .
    It's always to a good ideal to research local prices before buying chickens . Some people do pay large sums of money for some breeds . It depends on what you plan to do with them as to how much you spend . You can also post pictures of your chickens either in the breed threads or in the what breed is this thread and maybe find out maybe what they are .Good luck with your flock .

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Agree with Diva...roosters generally are a buyer's market since there are so many out there.

9. N F C

N F C got coffee? Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Thanks for joining us!

10. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! If you have a true RIR, he is worth something, but chances are, you have a production red, which is not worth one red cent. I don't own bantams, and I'm not extremely familiar with pricing and whatnot, so I'll leave that to someone else. I hope you enjoy BYC!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by