selling chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by larrylewis, Nov 18, 2013.

1. larrylewis

larrylewis New Egg

Nov 12, 2013
    ohio
    Im not sure if im putting this in the right section but I was wondering if bantams or standard chickens made for money to sell them and what kind

2. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    [​IMG] from a fellow Ohioan

im not sure i understand your question. are you asking about what breeds sell for the most money?

3. larrylewis

larrylewis New Egg

Nov 12, 2013
    ohio
    Yes

4. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    the most expensive breed i know of at the moment is the "ayem cemani" at about $5,000 for a juvenile pair. these will come down in price as they get more common, as with most rare breeds. you can get them from www.greenfirefarms.com . of course with a price like this, your market will be limited.

the most in demand breeds at the moment seem to be autosexing breeds like legbars, rhodebars, isbars... then it seems everyone wants silkies - but silkies are not great layers, and are usually very tender birds to raise. thats why they command a higher price.

the easiest breed to sell for me is old english game bantams. the cost of keeping them is not as expensive as some other chickens. acquiring good stock will cost you a little, but chicks will be easier to sell at the $3-$4 price range.

the money you can make or lose will be depending on the risk your willing to take, but remember prices drop. also with the recession we are in, its easier to sell the cheaper breeds. i make more money selling my regular white rocks and rhode island reds than i do any of my rare breeds. people are looking for necessity more than rarity at the moment. of course when i do sell some rare breed chicks, i do make better money per chick, i can sell 100 white rocks to 1 basque.

if you plan on shipping chicks, chickens, or eggs you will have to become a member of NPIP. here in Ohio its a $50 fee once a year, they will come in and test your breeder flock for disease. the paperwork is probably the worst part of it.

there is a link at the bottom of this box "......from-chicken-hobby-to-chicken-business-in-4-years" it talks about me setting up my breeder's farm. it may give you a little insight on what your getting ready to do. feel free to PM me and ill gladly answer your questions as best as i can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by