selling chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Farmer Rhonda, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Farmer Rhonda

Farmer Rhonda Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2015
    Does anyone have good advice about buying wholesale chicks and supplies for resale? Is this a good idea?

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    I would be careful when you buy already used things from other farms because it can be a reservoir for disease. If it's at a store then it'd be better. Welcome to BYC by the way and I hope you get what your looking for.

3. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Your local feed supply is already doing that. I don't know your market so I can't make suggestions. You probably would be better off selling chicks that you hatch , but I'm not sure how much cash you will be raking in. To sell chicks, you need to be set up with incubators, and brooders, Most people here with small amount of chickens do this as a hobby, and to get a few eggs for personal use. As numbers increase, I see that people are taking into account the amount they spend on feed and supplies. Obviously they must be selling their eggs since the amounts would be way too much to consume by one family . I'm not sure how profitable these small operations are, since I am not their accountant. Big egg producers sell big numbers and their feed is based on science and economics. When battery hens reach point past optimum laying, well you know what happens to them. I don't know if these big operations would be interested in dealing with you. WISHING YOU SUCCESS
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think you have to ask yourself WHY would people prefer my chicks, eggs, whatever, over the established sellers? What would you offer that is better than theirs? Not the best economy to try and launch a new business. I would advise starting out small so you don't lose the farm.

6. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. Farmer Rhonda

Farmer Rhonda Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2015
    Thanks everyone for the advice. If I try to sell chicks im going to start out slowly. I appreciate all the information and if I have questions this is we're I'm coming.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

You've received some good advice already!

1 person likes this.
  9. CommanderBaa

CommanderBaa Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2014
    Carpinteria, CA
    Welcome! As a hobby chicken person, I'm starting to think 40 is too many. If you are near a hatchery, you might try talking to them.

1 person likes this.
  10. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 - there is a saying in the horse industry that I think is also applicable here - "How do you make a small fortune in horses? Start with a large fortune" The fact of the situation is that the sheer volume of business one would have to do to begin clearing any sort of profit is such that is not really able to be supported by most folks looking to get in on this as a money-making venture. Specializing is going to be your best bet - look at producing quality, desirable birds and/or eggs - that, though, takes time as you build your livestock to the point that they meet that qualification - a niche' market is often the best way to try to clear any sort of actual gain in this sort of situation. There are, however, many returns from keeping birds that can't be counted in dollars and cents - so don't let this discourage you, instead embrace those benefits and count anything you do manage to have come in as "profit" just be the icing on the cake.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by