Selling chicks for the first time - any tips?

CoopmasterK

Chirping
10 Years
Oct 17, 2009
Rehoboth Beach, DE.
I hope this is the appropriate place for this question. I just hatched out 14 babies and advertised them for sale locally on craigslist. I've had several calls and one young man wants to buy them all. This sounds great but I am a bit concerned about selling to total strangers from craigslist. Does anyone have any tips for screening potential buyers? I would hate to think of someone using the chicks as feeders for a snake or other reptile. Any advice would be appreciated.

Oooo...didn't even think about them being snake food! I'm going to try myself selling some chicks so I'm curious as to how it pans out for you.What kind are they? And how much are you selling for?Let us know how it goes... Good luck! Sorry I'm not much help here
hmm.png

You can't control what people are going to do. You could always put in your ad that your chicks are not snake food, but that won't necessarily protect them from dishonest people. You could price them out of what people would want to buy for their reptiles (TSC sells meat chicks for $1.99) or you could raise them for a few weeks and sell them started (and too big for all but the larger snakes and reptiles).

Thanks for some great tips guys and gals. My chicks are of mixed parentage. In my adult flock I have a RIR roo and an easter egger roo along with 25 RIR hens, 6 B.O. hens, 6 Barred Rock hens ,4 White Rock hens and 2 gold sex link hens. I also have 12 easter egger hens but I only set brown eggs this hatch. Some of the chicks are true RIR, some are black sex links some are gold sex links and the rest are just random crosses. I'm selling them for $2.50 each. I spoke to the potential buyer on the phone after he called twice and I grew a bit concerned when he didn't seem to care what breeds the chicks were and how many might be male and how many female. He just wants them all. He is set to come by this afternoon at 4 and I'll ask him some questions then. I have another interested party so if I get bad vibes from the first guy I'll just offer the chicks to the other fella. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again for the advice.

Just out of curiousity, why would it matter if they are used for snake food? Snakes need to eat, too.

Would you sell them to me if I told you that I would eat them? That's what chickens are for!

Hi Dragonjaze -

I began keeping chickens because of the horrid conditions they face in factory farming. I am able to witness it first hand as 200 million broilers are raised each year in the county where I live. I also have an objection to the grinding up into feed/fertilizer of unwanted ( wrong gender ) day old chicks. I personally believe that domestic livestock should be given the opportunity to lead a quality life including grazing, foraging and playing before they are processed into food. I caponize my excess roos so I can keep them for 9 months before processing and still have a tender, juicy table bird. I don't process my hens until 3 years old. It's just my personal belief but I would like the chicks to go to someone who will provide them a proper home and life before they wind up in someone's or some creature's belly. By the way, I don't dislike snakes. I find them fascinating unless they are in my coop eating eggs. I typically sprinkle powdered sulfur around the perimeter of my coop which prevents that - snakes won't cross that sulfur. Thanks for the question.

I have a few questions I always ask people.
Do you have a brooder box already set up?
Do you already have food, feeders, and waterers for them?
Do you have a pen for them already?
What do yoou want them for?
Do you have a box to put them in to take them home?
and I always tell them that if they have any questions about taking care of them or if they decided that chickens just aren't for them, they can call me and I will help them the best I can.

Back
Top Bottom