1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Selling chicks- what do you do?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by koakritters, Jun 15, 2011.

1. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    When you sell your chicks, do you have the person buying them come to your house to get them, or do you meet them someplace else? When i got my eggs I went to teh lady's house, but i've always sold my chicks by bringing them to work with me, now i've got someone who wants to come get them tomorrow, and i don't work for the next 4 days, and it seems silly to drive all the way to work just to give someone their chicks...

i guess my question is, have you even had a problem with people coming to your house to get the chicks?

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    People come to my house to get chicks all the time. Never had an issue. BUT they never come INTO my house, they wait outside. [​IMG]

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    If you have a weird feeling about them coming to your house, especially if you are going to be there alone, you can always meet them somewhere locally... maybe about 5 mins from your house?

4. Shannon33

Shannon33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Is it someone you know? There are so many weird people out there I would be nervous about letting someone from Craigslist or something come to my house, lol.
    I have only sold to people around the neighborhood, I don't mind them coming to the house but I don't let them go in the enclosure because I read on here they can pass things from their birds to yours on their clothes and shoes, so I just do that as a precaution.

5. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I agree with ALL the above posts.

I have them come to my place but not in the house. Never had an issue. I also make sure I am not alone. I also have biosecurity and make them "step" their shoes in a weak bleach solution and wash their hands before they go up to my animal area.

But if I'm already "down the hill" then I just meet them somewhere.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  6. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    thanks! i've just always had to work whenever people wanted them and since i work at a public place, it was just easier to bring them with me. [​IMG]

this lady is driving about 40 min to get them, so i think someone who is willing to drive that far for a couple chicks *should* be an okay person, but you never know. I'll bring their cage out front so that there's no reason for her to go inside. thanks everyone!

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts too. People come to my house but not into it and NO ONE goes into my chicken area. I have an electric fence around the perimeter that I turn off if someone wants to see the birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by