selling chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TomG, Dec 23, 2010.

1. TomG

TomG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Lake Oswego
    I am interested in incubating some eggs for the fun involved. After they hatch I have a problem / question. If I were to order some eggs from a hatchery of breeds that are not common in my area, like marans delewares. How hard would it be to find homes for them as chicks? I can't keep any more grown birds than what I already have (4).[​IMG]

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

No clue. I don't sell mine. I should, but I don't. Folks have had good with Craigslist....

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

This time of year? Zilch. In the spring - FABULOUS responses.

4. TomG

Jun 26, 2010
    Lake Oswego
    Quote:Good. I was thinking of an April hatch.

5. debilorrah

If you are thinking about making any money, schedule the hatch to happen on March 5ish, and then stop at the end of June. Although STOP is not in my vocabulary.

Oh and if you have more than one bator, stagger them so you have a new hatch every week. [​IMG] We need an enabler smiley. Because that is me.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  6. TomG

Jun 26, 2010
    Lake Oswego

If you are thinking about making any money, schedule the hatch to happen on March 5ish, and then stop at the end of June. Although STOP is not in my vocabulary.

Oh and if you have more than one bator, stagger them so you have a new hatch every week. [​IMG] We need an enabler smiley. Because that is me.

I'm not thinking of making any money. I just want to try my hand at incubating a dozen or so and I can't keep any of them.

7. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Sell like crazy at flea markets. Seen a girl pull up to ours with about 100 chicks in a tote. One of the big sellers walked over a bought all of them to grow an resell. She was there 20 minutes.

8. debilorrah

Quote:That's how I think!!!!!

9. eggboy

eggboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    CA
    I would be intersted in a couple marans or americauna pullets but they would have to be shipped and I don't think that would work with only two or three chicks.

10. debilorrah

Quote:Yes it does. Just fine, in fact. Smaller box, overnight shipping, shipped right after hatch. They would make it just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by