Selling Crosses? will they sell?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KingR0o5t3r, Dec 4, 2012.

1. KingR0o5t3r

KingR0o5t3r Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Vail AZ
    I am wanting to breed some red sex links, black sex links, red stars, black stars, splashes and also a buff orp with black aussie. I just wanna know if people will buy these chicks on craigslist or other sites like that? I am sure people would buy pure breds but does anyone have experience selling cross breed chicks? I just dont wanna be stuck with a bunch of little chicks to take care of..

2. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    You could, just won't get as much $$ for them. Be upfront that they are "barnyard" mixes. Some people love the interesting colors you can get from them.

3. KingR0o5t3r

Dec 2, 2012
    Vail AZ
    I was planning on 2 or 3 dollars for hens, and roos free... lol cheap enough? and i was gonna say about the mixed breeds and they arent aloud to be shown in shows

4. TurtlePowerTrav

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    If they are laying, you should ask for around $15 at least, so you can recover feeding cost. I would do chicks for $2. Posting pics with the ads will help. Hatchery "pure breds" go for around $25-30. Breeder pure bred go for lots more, for laying hens.

5. KingR0o5t3r

Dec 2, 2012
    Vail AZ
    I would sell almost all as chicks. the only thing i would worry about is getting rid of all the roosters

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    This is the kicker, you're going to have a lot of leftover roosters and you'll need a plan for them.

If you're breeding sex links and can guarantee pullets, I'd think the girls would sell well. The plain mixed birds you'd have to sell straight run.

Okay re-reading your post, you're not breeding your own sex links, are you? You're breeding different sex link hens to an Australorp rooster? In that case you wont' be able to tell girls from boys and I personally don't think the chicks would sell that great. I wouldn't buy them, myself, cause the last thing I need is someone else's barnyard mix rooster.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  7. KingR0o5t3r

Dec 2, 2012
    Vail AZ
    I am breeding my own sex links, i just worded that badly, i will breed a black australorp to a barred rock hen. What would you do with the roosters? i was gonna give them away as meat birds or just pretty birds for backyard flocks. I'd probly sell the mixes for $1 or $2 a piece straight run

8. TurtlePowerTrav

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    You could offer them free with purchase or raise them yourself for meat. I can Sex-link from my BR hens and will be using the boys for meat. Yummy

9. KingR0o5t3r

Dec 2, 2012
    Vail AZ
    I was going to give them free even without purchase, but I couldn't kill them myself:( that'd be so sad

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I eat my extra birds. But keep in mind a lot of folks can't give roosters away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by